|| SIXTEEN ||

After closing the door, Sweet Pea studied her face, and she took a deep breath, wanting the exchange to be over with as soon as possible. "I'm not going to try and beat around the bush so here it is. The way you talked about the Black Hood earlier kind of... scared me. I get that you're mad about the Southside being blamed for everything, but calling a murderer a hero and trying to send my brother after that Northsider for no reason? Isn't that a bit too far?"

Sweet Pea exhaled which almost came across as a grunt. "I knew that was why you were avoiding me. I know that him shootin' people ain't a good thing, but it's damn well teaching those spoilt assholes over there a good lesson."

"But what about Fangs?"

"He wants to earn some sort of dignity here, and you should, too," Sweet Pea blurted out insensitively, and Lauryn blinked twice in disbelief, chortling sarcastically.

"Are you being serious? Wasn't almost dying to prove my loyalty to the Serpents enough?"

"Maybe it could've been if you didn't care more about what I thought of you and screw it up," he snapped, and instantly regretted it seeing the hurt look on her face. "Angel Face, that's not what I-"

"Wow. Fuck you," she told him spitefully. "Your head is so far up your own ass it's hilarious. I can't believe I thought we could have a mature conversation about this. You clearly don't care about me enough to realise that I regret what happened more than anything."

Before Sweet Pea could say another word, Lauryn stormed out of the bedroom back into the living area where her brother and his boyfriend were, slumping down on the couch between them as they waited for her to say something.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Fangs asked quietly as Sweet Pea walked out as well, keeping his distance by the kitchen island where he opened another beer, listening in subtly.

"No, it's fine," Lauryn huffed, replaying his unkind words in her head. "Don't worry about it."

"We heard just about all of that, in case you were wondering," Jared muttered before taking a swig from the vodka bottle which was sat on the crumb-covered coffee table in front of them, offering it to her after which she refused with a gesture.

"Gold star, J," she retorted, refusing to look at him as her arms snaked through each other tightly.

There was a painfully long moment of silence, and Fangs switched off the TV which only made it more awkward, letting out a sigh. "What now, then, guys?"

"Do you wanna make our way over to the Whyte Wyrm?" Jared proposed, and getting out of that apartment was all Lauryn wanted, so she stood up first. "It's getting a little lame here."

"Yeah, this room was starting to feel a little too small," she remarked, shooting a hateful look at Sweet Pea who narrowed his eyes. "Or there's just too much stupidity in the air."

She was the first out of the apartment block, making it to the bottom of the stairs before the boys who were laughing and joking in their drunk states, but Sweet Pea remained silent. The anguish appeared to have sobered him up.

"Wait, guys, I'm gonna go grab a bottle of something," Jared spoke, taking Fangs' hand as they both made their way into the liquor store, leaving the couple awkwardly stood outside alone.

Lauryn leaned against the wall, her arms remaining in their folded position. She was debating on just going home to be by herself.

Sweet Pea brushed his wild bangs out of his face as he approached her, but they fell straight back into place over his eyes. "Uh, Lauryn?"

"What?" she replied lowly.

"I'm sorry for what I said," he said genuinely, expecting her to at least look at him but she didn't.