|| THIRTY ||

It was getting closer to Christmas, and Lauryn still wasn't showing noticeably, but she typically wore baggier clothes to comfort her own self-esteem. 

It was the day before winter break, two days before Christmas, and the Serpents were helping each other pack final gifts in the Wyrm.

"What is all this?" Jughead questioned as he ambled into the bustling sea of tape, ribbons and wrapping paper.

"It's Serpent tradition," Toni explained. "Every year, we give back to the Southside. Toys for Tots, Meals on Wheels, kids and old folks living alone."

"The Hells Angels do it," Fangs smiled warmly. Angel Face grinned at her brother, and he squeezed her shoulder.

"Plus, a lot of us have been through what they're going through, and the idea of little kids having to be by themselves at Christmas sucks," Lauryn shook her head, taking the gift box out of her brother's hands and finishing the tape which he couldn't find the end of. "You in, Jones?"

Jughead tapped her on the back lightly. "I'm always down for charitable works. Hey, have you seen my dad?"

"Why aren't you in school?" FP asked Jughead as he entered the Wyrm, which definitely answered his previous question.

"Uh," his son started, clearly caught off guard by his dad's sudden arrival. "It's a half-day before break."

"Well, in that case, you can hold down the fort here, Jug."

Lauryn went over to help Sweet Pea, subtly lowering her tone to speak to him. "You're quiet. Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm good," he said bluntly, barely acknowledging her.

Lauryn rolled her eyes at his bluntless. "Same goes for you in telling me everything, by the way, so what is it? You know you can--"

He was about to speak when FP interrupted them loudly. "Sweet Pea, you're with us."

Sweet Pea got up, and Lauryn took him by the arm before he could walk away. He lifted her chin, pecking her on the lips. "We'll talk later."

"Sure," she agreed coldly, letting him go. She went back over to Fangs and Toni, a frown on her face.

"Everything okay with you two?" Toni asked, watching Sweet Pea as he left.

"I don't know," Lauryn sighed, shaking her head. "He's been acting off for a couple days. Fangs, has he spoken to you?"

"Uh," Fangs began, trying to think of the right thing to say. "I'm guessing he hasn't told you. I'd rather not be the cause of a fight because I know how you guys get, so talk to him later."

Lauryn raised a brow, folding her arms. "What?"

"Way to make her feel better, Fangs," Toni said sarcastically before turning to Lauryn. "Don't worry, okay? Whatever it is, FP will take care of him. He knows about the baby, right?"

Lauryn looked down, and her best friend gave her a look. "You haven't told him?"

"I can't," Lauryn said, shaking her head. 

"Why?" her brother asked. "It's not like he'll be mad at you."

"He'll... be disappointed."

"He's not your dad, Lauryn, even if he is the closest thing you have," Toni told her, rubbing her back. "I'm sure he'll be supportive."

"It'll change everything."

"He'll know soon enough," Fangs said, pointing downwards. "Are you showing yet?"