|| FORTY ||

When Lauryn finally opened her eyes, she slowly acknowledged her surroundings, finding herself tucked into her own bed at home. The door was open a crack, and a dim light seeped through from the living area. She was exhausted, and it took a couple minutes for her to gather the strength to move.

There was chatter in the other room, but a ringing in her ear made it hard for her to recognise whose voices they were. She rubbed her eyes after shifting herself into a sat-up position. "Fangs?"

The talking ceased, and in seconds, the door flew open and her brother rushed in. "Lauryn, thank God."

"What happened?" she asked as he switched on the lamp by her bed, his hand brushing over her head as he examined her.

"Sweet Pea said you fainted," he told her gently, and the fuzzy memory of earlier began to slowly piece itself back into focus. "We're worried about you, Lauryn. You're sick."

"I'm fine," she lied, ignoring the lightheadedness she felt and the dryness that lingered in her mouth. "Just a little tired, that's all."

"Is it because of Katherine?" he asked, watching as his sister frowned at him.

"No. Why would it be?"

"I don't know," he shrugged. "I'm just trying to work out what's going on with you. You're pale, and there are bags underneath your eyes."

"Yeah, I'm not sleeping," she admitted, however, tried to play it off like it was nothing. "And I get sick every time I eat, but I'll be fine. It'll pass."

"I think you need to see a doctor," he advised her, and knew she was going to shake her head before she actually did so.

"No, I don't," she refused. "Please, Fangs, I'm okay."

Fangs looked over her with concern, understanding. "You're stressed out. The Ghoulies, your mom, the baby..."

"I don't need a reminder," Lauryn said, letting out a sigh. "Where's Sweet Pea?"

"I'm here," Sweet Pea replied from where he was leant on the doorway. "Figured I'd keep my distance since you wanted me to leave you alone on the street, so I brought you here."

"Don't be stupid," she scolded, reaching her hand out for him to come over. He did so, standing by the bed and feeling her forehead. "Why does everyone keep treating me like I'm terminally ill or something?"

"Because you're not well," Sweet Pea answered simply, handing her the glass of water mounted by her bed. "Until you get some sleep, everything's on the line."

She downed half the glass as the two guys kept their eyes fixated on her. At least the dryness in her mouth was gone now. "I've been trying, trust me."

"Stay home while we're flyering," her brother suggested, even though he wasn't going to take no for an answer no matter what excuse she gave. "You need rest. We can handle the search for the head."

She huffed so hard her bones almost rattled, and a sharp pain in her lungs caused her to cough. "Fine."

Fangs got up off the bed. "Try and get some sleep, and if you need something later on, just call me."

"Okay," she agreed, too exhausted to try and argue with him. She watched as he and Sweet Pea made their way over to the door, and suddenly she was afraid to be on her own. "Sweet Pea."

Fangs patted him on the back as he walked past. Sweet Pea stopped by the door, looking back at her as he saw the desperation in her eyes. "Yeah?"

"Please don't go home," she begged him, trying to sit up again. "I need you to stay."