|| FORTY-EIGHT ||

Start from the beginning

A couple of them managed to get some shut-eye on the sidewalk, taking turns in sheltering each other from the rain, but Lauryn couldn't dream of it. Her body felt heavier than the chains she was encased in, and every breath made her ribcage feel brittle.

The first glimpse of daylight was not the relief they anticipated it to be, and everyone began to believe that this was actually going to go on forever. Over the span of two hours, a growing flock of intrigued civilians and reporters showed up to give them the attention they intended to attract.

As the numbers grew, the Serpents who were sitting stood up to form what was almost a wall, holding their firm positions despite the weakness aching in their ankles. Aside from an audience, they managed to attract other Southside High students who joined in without chains.

One of the first familiar faces to arrive was Archie Andrews for the second time, only now, his usual expression of sympathy was replaced by a blank, merciless mask as he pushed through the crowd sporting a pair of bolt cutters over his shoulder.

Following him like clones were the Bulldogs in identical clothing, and the Serpents raised their chests defensively. Before they could reach the gang members, FP slid in front of their leader sternly. "Cops may let you by, Red, but you come in here acting like a big man and I will knock you down."

"Dad, don't," Jughead spoke, the assertiveness showing through his tone as well as his gaze. "They'll throw you in jail. Don't give them an excuse."

"I'm sorry, Jughead," Archie said as if it would change the fact that he'd already made his intentions quite clear when he and his team showed up.

"Me too," Jughead replied simply. "I'm not gonna fight you, Archie. Look around. It may have taken a couple of days, but now people know what Hiram's doing, what's happening here. This fight is not gonna go away. We're not going to go away. So, go on, cut us down. I want them to see you do it."

He then spread his wrists before Archie, revealing the metal chain holding them together. Staring with anger at his best friend, he then heard the clang which not only broke the metal, but the trust he'd had in Archie for so long.

The other Bulldogs stepped forward on cue, beginning to cut all the other Serpents free. Despite the exploitation, no one objected. Lauryn glared as a boy freed her hands first, and Sweet Pea knocked him out of the way the second the rest of her body was free.

"Hell off of her," he spat, jerking her away protectively by her shoulders before she slipped her hand into his and they started to walk away from the scene in defeat. He then enclosed an arm around her, leading her away to his bike to wait for the others who were still plodding away in annoyance.

"Assholes," Jared cursed, watching as the site was clearing in the distance. "They really think they can just--"

Fangs rolled his eyes. "What would you have done? Didn't see you being the voice of reason back there."

"We lost," Jughead told them all angrily as he climbed onto his motorbike. "Get over it. Go home."

All eyes on him, he sped off to go and mope on his own, or potentially cook up an act of retaliation. But, for the time being, all Sweet Pea cared about was perched on his bike.

"You're shivering," he told her, taking off his jacket and wrapping it around her. Her wet hair didn't help either, it only topped off the uncomfortably drenched clothes which were stuck to her body. "Let's get you home."

"God, she's a badass," Jared remarked, making her chortle with the only strength she had. "Go get some rest, Fogartess. You sure as hell need it."

"Lauryn," Fangs began. "You going home with Sweet Pea?"