"I guess so," Sweet Pea shrugged. "I took her for somethin' to eat earlier. This has happened every time she's eaten this week."

"Get her to a doctor," FP advised, shaking his head slightly as he imagined the worst. "The last thing I wanna see is her or that baby hurt."

"It's because of Katherine," he told him, and there was a particular certainty in his voice. "She's worried sick about being abandoned again. It only makes her even more scared of havin' the baby. Besides, she won't go see a doctor."

"Damn that woman," FP cursed, pursing his lips together. "Katherine Fogarty. How Lauryn ended up with that excuse of a mother, I'll never know."

"Yeah, you said it," Sweet Pea agreed solemnly. He turned his head to glance back at the ladies' room door which was still shut. "I'm scared shitless, FP."

"I know you are, kid," FP comforted, patting him hard on the shoulder. "But don't you show that girl that you are. She needs you to protect her. Whatever happens, you don't break your shell. Got it?"

Sweet Pea's face hardened, and he looked into the man's eyes. "Got it."

A low chuckle came from Tall Boy's lips, and the two Serpents turned around to acknowledge the man's attempt at finding satisfaction out of Lauryn's misfortune. "Karma works in mysterious ways, am I right?"

Sweet Pea felt himself lose it, and he lunged at Tall Boy before FP could stop him. "The fuck did you say?"

"You heard me," Tall Boy said, seemingly unbothered until Sweet Pea's rings were denting his cheek. "Your girl's only gettin' penance. Penny's told me all about how her dad left her alone with a bunch of merchandise."

"Lauryn isn't her dad," Sweet Pea reminded him. "And the only one gettin' penance tonight is you, Tall Boy. You don't talk about my girlfriend like that."

"Your girlfriend is the spitting image of her mom," the old man remarked. "Not just looks, either."

Sweet Pea shook his head. "You know nothing about her."

"I know her well enough to know that she's gonna fuck up the same way every damn Fogarty does!"

Without another word, Sweet Pea sent a blow into Tall Boy's nose, causing the chair he was sat on to topple over backwards and smack into the wooden floor with a thud. FP quickly clasped Sweet Pea by the teeth of his jacket, watching as the boy saw red.

"I got it, Sweet Pea," FP promised quietly. "Go check on your girl."

Still glaring at Tall Boy, Sweet Pea backed up to wait outside of the door for Lauryn. He watched as FP dragged the traitor up off of the floor, assuming that the next step would be thorough exclusion.

The door opened with a high-pitched creak, and Lauryn came into view looking exhausted. Sweet Pea turned to her, rushing towards her as she blinked slowly. His hands found her frail figure, and he pulled her straight into a hug.

"I'm sorry," she said shakily. "I tried to keep it down."

"I know," he replied with a sigh, stroking her head. "It's okay. We'll figure this out, Angel Face."

"Am I gonna die?" she asked, and he pushed her into his view to cup her cheeks tightly.

"Don't talk like that. You're not gonna die."

"But--"

"No, Angel Face," he cut her short. "You're gonna be fine."

She wasn't sure if he was just trying to reassure himself that he wasn't going to lose her or actually certain that she was going to make it through the pregnancy, but his words were somehow giving her a sense of comfort, and she wouldn't dare complain.