"Don't be ridiculous," Ariella managed to say beyond the stupid fluttering of her heart and the blush she could feel creeping up her cheeks. There was nothing romantic or flirtatious in what he'd said. This man was maybe in his late thirties, but he could easily be older. You could never tell a wolf's true age by how young they looked. Still, it was nice to hear a compliment. Especially after the morning she'd had.

"Oh, you mark my words. Before long the entire pack will be falling at your feet."

"Okay, just stop. Now I know not to believe a word you say," Ariella forced a laugh and waved a hand to dismiss him.

"Fine, don't believe me," he placed a hand over his heart as if wounded, but she could see by the way he pressed his full lips together that he was trying not to laugh at his own silliness.

"And now the second reason to why I followed you out here," he straightened his face, took her hand and bowed over it. "I am Beta Knight. You can just call me Knight. And I'd like to formally welcome you to our pack." He then placed a light kiss on her knuckles before letting her hand down.

Ariella's eyes widened at his sweet gesture, and with a stammering heart she thanked him. "Knight, it suits you." Her imagination immediately ran ahead, and she could see this handsome wolf resplendent in armour or royal finery, rescuing a fair maiden from some sort of evil's clutches. The strong angle of his chin and the broad set of his shoulders were clear indicators that he would be brave and fight to the death, if need be, to save the honour of his love.

But the other thing he'd said quickly reined in her thoughts. "But how can you be Beta? I thought ...Hampton... Hamil..." she scrambled for the name. Truly, the young Beta's name hadn't stuck in her memory when she'd barely even met him all those weeks ago at the fateful dinner.

"Hamilton. Yes, well. He's the current Beta. I was Beta before him, for a few years after his father died. Hamilton was too young to take over the position. But naturally, when Malachi became Alpha, Hamilton stood by his friend to take the second in command, and here I am- former Beta of DoubleEdge Pack."

Ariella nodded her head, her mind reeling, trying to draw a timeline in her head of who was Alpha when, who was their Beta, and when the changeover took place. However, without knowing enough of the pack's history, she had many blanks, so just gave Beta Knight a smile.

"I'm sure you made a great Beta. It must be hard now stepping down at your age."

This earned a bright smile, the inference that he was young, and he motioned with his head for her to walk with him. They meandered down the path together, chatting, laughing, enjoying the cool shade of the red cedars and jacaranda trees. At this time of year, most of the trees had nearly lost all their leaves. What remained were spiky branches and twigs, empty bird nests, and carpets of red leaves they crunched and swirled beneath their feet.

Ariella looked up from observing the variety of leaves and saw the path winding up towards a small cabin.
Tucked between a copse of trees and a small embankment, the dwelling looked rough, new, and defiantly masculine. Even the chopped timber stacked on one side smelt freshly of sawdust and pine.

"Welcome to my  place," Knight swung his arm wide. "Would you like to come in for lunch?"

Ariella halted, her feet skidding on the loose forest floor. Was it that time of day already? The sun was high overhead and the warmth had increased. When her stomach growled loudly, reminding her she'd barely had any breakfast or dinner the night before, the idea of lunch suddenly sounded good.

"I'll take that as a yes," Knight laughed and wiggled his eyebrows.

Ariella cringed and turned away, hating that he had just heard her stomach growl in such an unladylike way.