White Lie

Chapter 54

Damon

"Alaric!" I couldn't see him anymore. I was feeling weak like a burning pain was eating away my skin. My normal fire element didn't work down here, but the flame of Prometheus did. I threw my weight back and forth rocking into Alaric's cocoon. "Hey!"

I heard a muffled moan. I gently tossed a fireball in his direction careful not to set the whole thing on fire, "You two want to stop dicking around?" The woman on the ground shouted up in a bit of a panic. "It won't be long before she's back."

Like a jack-in-the-box, Alaric's head popped through the small burnt hole. "Keep your panties on. We got to find a way down first."

"And we have to find everyone else," I said seeing no sign of Leo, Milo or Daniel.

"You're looking at them," she said pointing up to our surroundings.

"If you want out you have to help us. That has to be some kind of ladder or rope- "

The woman cut off Alaric, "I've been down here for five years and she just started trusting me with a bucket of water."

"A fucking stool?!"

"Enough," I said through the sweat of my brow. My body felt like it had the worst case of food poisoning imaginable, but it wasn't the time. "We'll find a way down. You, uumm..."

"Anya," she stated.

"Anya, stand watch," I said. "Alaric start looking for the others."

"Unless you can fly, you're just as stuck as I am."

"I hope you focused on upper body strength," I said reaching out to test the webbed ceiling. After a few hard tugs, I trusted the webbing with my weight. I swung through the webbing to the next closest cocoon like a kid on monkey bars.

"What are you doing?!" Anya panicked, "We need to leave now!"

"I'm not leaving without my brothers and Freya," I vowed.

"And Anson," Alaric struggled out. Him too.

"Don't burst the cocoon. Drop them down and I'll open them," Anya suggested.

"With what the power of friendship?" Alaric said swinging past me to kick the root of another cocoon, "Mo-the-r-fuck-er," he slowly spat out until the cocoon he was working on fell to the ground.

I reached out my hand and burned the stem, sending the cocoon crashing down to the ground. I reached into my pocket and pulled out my dagger, the only one that meant anything because it was connected to Freya. Strange, the ruby was a dark bloody red instead of the white vibrant blood red. She was in trouble, hurt badly. I felt a wound so deep it cut me to my very core.

I'm coming Freya. Just hold on.

Reluctantly, I dropped the dagger down to Anya, "Use that."

I went back to work even though my body ached with each movement. My cheeks burned with the flush of fever. My breath quivered in short, quick gasps every time I inhaled, my lungs had no choice but to painfully and rigidly take in the chilled air around me.

What are you going, Freya? I called out only to receive no response.

I touched the next webbed pod, only to have an arm explode out, clawing at the air in front of me. An animalistic scream followed behind it. It was covered in a thick white liquid that seemed to burn the skin leaving painful blistering, pulsing, boils that radiated heat. The white liquid almost seemed to act as an acid.