Reborn

Chapter 24

Damon

We raced outside to see Haven on fire. Explosions rang out everywhere, alongside the warning sirens. Smoke and fire rushed out of every building. Haven was dust and dirt, baked under a cloud of darkness. Even though the ground glistened like rain had fallen, the liquid that rained down wasn't clear but red.

Blood.

As the darkness enclosed the campus, we could hear and see the fearful blow of the explosions, the noise of glass breaking and raining down, the hoarse howl of Haven.

"Is this-"

I cut Leo off, "Yeah," I said looking up as the moon was blocked out and with it, all sound. Darkness had taken its stranglehold, squeezing life out of everything in its path and consumed every ounce of light. It was so dark I couldn't see my hand in front of my face. I called out to Leo and Milo who were just standing next to me, but no sound came out of my mouth. It was so tense that the silence was as thick as the blackness. I lit my hand on fire trying to use it as a torch, only for the flames to die out.

What?

I fumbled around until I ran into Leo who tried to speak to me, but I heard nothing. We found Milo, and again we heard nothing. They knew we couldn't stay here, there were people still on campus that needed help. Namely, the children. But I couldn't communicate that.

We're buried in darkness. Alaric ran head-first into me, and I could see he wanted to shout something at me but was just as shocked as I was by the lack of no sound. Before we could even register what was happening, Leo turned our heads', and we were face to face with a Shade.

But this was different, it was at least seven feet tall and hunched over. It's hands dragging on the ground with its bloody red finger-like claws. We could see every bone in its body desperately trying to escape the black as night skin. It had no eyes, no nose only a carnivorous smile that looks sharper than any blade I had everything.

Normally, a Shade would only be three feet tall and easy to kill. This...this was unheard of. We didn't have time for this, we needed to get to the children. I grabbed everyone and we teleported to the primary school dorm.

Ouch! It felt like something had bit me on my shoulder. I ignored it for the most part, but it hurt like a bitch.

Individually I got everyone's attention and pointed towards the school. I didn't know how this was going to work out since none of us could talk to each other, but we would make it work. Alaric told me to stop holding his hand up I did. He went into Milo's backpack and pulled up some rope and wrapped it around his waist wanting us to follow suit. Clever. We did. At least this way, we wouldn't lose each other in the darkness. Hopefully.

I took the front while Leo and Milo stayed in the middle with Alaric in the back. This wasn't going to be easy. Carefully, we made our way into the building. We didn't even make it around the first corner before we were running into a Shade that had the body type of The Rock.

Oh shit.

I held up my daggers ready for a fight only for Milo to cave in the ceiling on it. Still staring forward, I gave Milo a thumbs up.

This was going to be a long night.

Freya

I opened my eyes for only a second to see I was still alive. I was being dragged by my foot by the giant demon spider that I was sure was going to eat me alive. It wasn't long before I felt like passing out again.