Hoffman

Chapter 14

Alaric

"Cece, calm down," I said into my phone. I could barely understand her.

"Alaric! Get off the phone! We are working to protect-"

Holding the phone away from my mouth and covering the mic I said, "Suck my dick."

Honey barked at Logan. Good boy. We've been out here all day, and nothing has happened. I brought the phone back up to my ear and softly said, "I can't help if I don't know what the problem is." All I heard was sobbing.

I started to walk back to campus with Honey close by my side, "Hey! Get back here, we still have forty-two minutes left of watch! Alaric!"

"Choke on it," I said flicking him off walking away. Logan didn't know what to say to that and Tobias was napping under a nearby tree. We've been out here since the ass crack of dawn. Nothing had happened and nothing was going to happen. What was important, was whatever happened to Cecilia.

A bad day at school?

"Where are you?" I asked.

"H-h-h-hospital," she struggled to say.

I picked up my pace and started to jog, "What happened? Are you hurt?" My heart rate spiked.

"F-f-f-r-reya...." Gods, what happened to Freya?

There was no point in me being on the phone with Cecilia she couldn't talk. At least not enough for me to understand what she was saying. I hung up hoping that didn't upset her more. I quickly made my way to the hospital. Walking into the crisp white, bleach smelling facility, I walked to the receptionist and asked for Freya's room. The middle-aged honey blonde woman typed something into her computer and then without even looking up to me she said, "She's still in healing." Honey pulled at my pant leg clearly trying to take me somewhere. "I'm sorry but no animals allowed. This is a hospital, not a veterinarian's office."

"What kind of healing?"

"It's not in her file, and even if it was, I couldn't give you that information. Now, please sir. Remove your dog from the premises."

"Fine, fine," I picked up Honey and quickly ran past the receptionist.

"Hey! You can't-"

"I'm with The Brotherhood!" I shouted back running like a bat out of hell. Once I was sure no one was following me I put Honey down and said, "Go find, Freya. Go on."

Like a bloodhound with a scent, he took off, Woof, woof, woof, woof. He barked at a steel door that read, 'Urgent Care facilities: no personnel beyond this point'.

Fuck it, I haven't come this far just to give up.

I pushed open the door and Honey started to run down the spiral staircase. As soon as I walk through the threshold, I could tell there was a difference between the modern medicine that was just happening and the old magic of a millennial ago. Gone where the white walls and hi-tech equipment. This part of the hospital barely even had lights.

I heard Honey's paws hit the concrete stairs. He barked up to me as if to say 'Dude? What is taking you so long?!' I jogged down the stairs and once we made it all the way to the bottom, I pushed open another set of metal doors. We walked into a rectangular watching area filled with windows and chairs. On the other side was a giant pool glowing blue which acted as the only light in this whole area.

"Alaric," Cecilia said rushing to my side burying her face in my shoulder. Her sobs were stifled at first, then overcome by the wave of her emotions she broke down entirely. I wrapped my arms around her pulling her in tight.