Do you?

Chapter 43

Damon

My heart broke looking down at Freya. I've never seen anyone so broken and weak. Even Honey was depressed with Freya's slow recovery time. Like a good dog, he stayed by the pool's edge keeping an eye on her.

"She will heal. You must give it time."

My head snapped up to the sound of Gareth's voice. He stood at the edge of the pool with his cane in hand, "How did this happen?" I said returning my focus back to Freya. She had fallen asleep and I could tell from the few hours I've been holding her, she was healing at a snail's pace.

"She refused to breed. And your High Elder Rastus decided if she refused, there would be no place for her in your society." My head snapped to attention.

"We don't do that. And the High counsel- "

"Is looking at the real probability of having a war with two 'unfit' demigods. One of which has no abilities, the other is still in her infancy and leans more to her impulses and feelings. Demigod's that lean towards their dark arts creed, have in the past, been hard to control," he cut in.

"Freya is not unfit," I said.

"No, she isn't. But your Council only sees a girl who refuses to take orders, questions not only their authority, but the authority of the Gods, and whose presence seems to bring destruction and death to Haven. They may feel like breeding would not only calm her down but train the next generation of her offspring to be more obedient."

"She's not a fucking dog," I snapped. I know I should never shout at a God, let alone Chaos. I said nothing else, letting silence hang in the air. The black water suddenly became a turquoise blue, glowing blinding white light in the center. I looked up to see Gareth had dipped his cane into the water.

"I never said that." Well, it sounded like it, "Have you seen Cecilia?"

"She left a few hours ago to get some sleep," I answered.

"And you? Descendant or not you still need rest. Your companions have all called it a night," he pointed out. I shook my head confused. How could I leave Freya? "She'll be fine as long as she stays in the water. Gaia wouldn't let anything happen to her in her spring."

"I can't. I just... no," I stammered out.

"Why? You know you're both safe here, beyond time and space," he stated.

"Every second I take my eyes off her, something happens. And there's nothing I can do to help her." Staring into his black eyes I admitted a truth I didn't want to realize, "I told her to go to The Academy. I begged her to stay at Haven. Everything I say is wrong, and now look at her. If you hadn't shown up, Freya could be dead!"

"You can't doubt your judgement. You didn't make Freya do anything. That's not who she is; she chose to go to The Academy, she chose to stay at Haven. The road you are about to walk will be filled with tough decisions, you have to trust yourself, your instincts." Gareth started to walk smoothly over the calm water, "You are a critical part of her life. Your bond will be at times, the only thing pushing both of you forwards. There can be no room for doubt."

What was I supposed to say to that?

"Yes, my lord," I stated looking back down to Freya's face.

"This is just the tip of the iceberg. If you cannot handle this, you're going to have a very tough time once you all reach The Underworld." I felt Gareth's cane pushing my chin up to meet his intense gaze, "This is your job. It's the essence of your bond, loving her, caring for her, protecting her. Freya may act like she has confidence in herself, but she doesn't. She doesn't know anything to have faith in herself. That's where you come in. I could tell her every day until I was blue in the face how important she is, it means nothing from me, but everything from you. Which gives you a position of power many would kill for or abuse. Until she's ready to stand on her own, you have to be the golden standard, more than just a Descendant. There is no greater honor or duty beyond her. Your bond will push you to limits you had no idea were feasible. Your sacrifices will go unnoticed, but a vital necessary. But for the love of her you will endure. Do understand that?"