The Date

Chapter 9

Freya

"I can't believe that worked," I said dumbfounded.

"I am the Goddess of Love. Now, go finish your test then get ready," Aphrodite said raising her hand, but before she could send me away, I stopped her.

"Wait! You know I can become a God-Killer right?" I asked.

"I don't like where this is going," she said leaning away from me.

"I'm not going to kill you. Jesus, I'm not psychotic. I don't know a lot about your counsel, but I know there's going to be a vote whether you should get rid of me or let me live. I'm doing these tests now I guess to... Judge my character? But I'm stuck on the first riddle. I know it has something to do with gold-"

"Say no more, you have my vote for alive," I breathed a sigh of relief, "If..." Damn it. "This date goes well. I don't think you Mortals understand how hard it is to bond two people together! It takes years of creating the perfect two halves. Sometimes the two people aren't even born in the same time, not to mention country or world. It's a mess. But, I do it. And you my young demigod friend, have the highest rate of unsuccess. Try harder."

"What about the gold?" I asked.

"No clue," she waved her hand, and I was falling upwards, back the way I came, through darkness and with a blink of my eye I was landing flat on my butt in the concrete room with Cecilia by my side.

"What? What happened?" She said as if I wasn't just taken to a whole another realm.

Shaking off what I just experienced I stood up and said, "Nothing. Umm let's do this."

"You first," Cecilia said.

We walked into another concrete room the same as the one we just left. "I feel like we're getting punk'd."

"What?"

"It was a TV show. Ashton Kutcher used to play jokes on celebrities," I said having flashbacks to the time he Punk'd Beyonce with the falling Christmas tree.

"That sounds so mean-spirited," Cecilia said.

I shrugged my shoulders, "It made pretty good TV." Onwards to the next room. Not see anything different in this room I started to head to the door again when Cecilia terrified pointed up.

I didn't see anything, "A ceiling?" She grabbed my hand and we rushed through the door and she slammed it shut behind us, "I missed something?"

"You didn't see the giant spider?" She said backing away her eyes fixated on the door. I look to her and to the door and I still didn't see anything, "Let's go." She said rushing through the door without me. I followed behind her, only to enter another concrete room with no Cecilia inside.

"God damn it. To whoever is listening are we just stuck in some kind of eternal loop? How does this help?" I asked speaking to no one. And no one answered. Well at least I know Cecilia isn't in trouble. I kept walking forward.

In and Out. In and Out. In and Out. In and Out. In and out. In and out. And on and on it went for at least fifty more doors. Is this thing broken?

I stopped. Going forward does me no good, there has to be some creative way I'm supposed to solve this puzzle. I really took in my surroundings staring at the concrete walls. I ran my hands over the cold surface of the walls. Maybe, there was some kind of secret door? I felt around the walls blindly not knowing what I was looking for. Until I felt the wall sweat? I pulled my hand back examining the liquid on my hand. I stepped back and bumped into someone. I jumped. My heart stopped.