Promises

Chapter 38

Damon

"This is stupid," I stated.

"Stupidly ingenious," Alaric boasted as we stood in front of gates of Roman's Archon estate on the sidewalk. We were still hours away from sunrise, deep in enemy territory knocking on their front door. "Instead of beating around the bush. The best thing we can do is go straight to the source, Roman can easily get us Hebe's cup. Whatever he wants long-term will be well worth it if it pulls Freya out of her seizure inducing coma."

"Believe me, I want to help her more than anyone. But Roman isn't the person-"

"Stop being a little bitch and man up to help your beloved," he said mounding the iron gates. Anson try to climb it only to be shocked down to the ground as he landed flat on his ass.

"If it were that easy, don't you think we would have already taken this place?" I said looking around if there were people around. I didn't see any, but I didn't mean eyes weren't watching us. I called up my fire element balling it up into my palm, "Aim for the trees. We're not going to get in so he's going to have to come out to us."

"That's a better fucking attitude," Alaric said standing up.

"Not the smartest plan," I heard Roman's voice say as he sucked all the heat from my hand in an ink like flame.

My hand felt as if it was close to the point of being ice bitten. Pins and needles jammed themselves into every part of my hand. I backed away from him holding my hand with my other squeezing it needing to feel something other than the ice-like pain.

With a snap of his fingers Roman moved closer to me. I turned to look back to see what happened to Anson, only to find he was frozen in place, presumably about to tell Roman, 'fuck you'.

"I did offer my services at the house. I don't appreciate you coming here trying to burn down the place," Roman said coming to stand under a nearby lamppost.

Refusing to let him see how badly hurt me I shook away my pain and stood up straight, "We both know you didn't offer anything."

"Yet here you are looking for something. What?"

I rather steal the cup then ask Roman for help. Hell, I'd stab myself in the eyes if that meant not throwing myself at his feet, because he never, never does anything for anyone except for the benefit of himself. But Freya needed it, and in my heart, I knew I couldn't let my pride overtake what needs to be done. I unclenched my jaw and exhaled hard, "I need Hebe's cup."

Not missing a beat, Roman quickly asked, "Why? Is The Brotherhood trying to make a Shade army?"

"No." I hesitated for a moment. Did I tell him the truth what did I try and make something up? Knowing my luck Roman would most likely see past it. I was wasting my time here, time that Freya didn't have, "Freya needs it."

"She can't need anything if she's not even conscious," he stated lean against the light pole. "So, what do you plan on doing with it? You must need it badly if you're here asking your dear older brother for help."

You have no fucking idea.

"It's healing properties, I need it to wake up Freya," I admitted she out of options. Roman had all the power here. Unfortunately, I was at his mercy.

"Why is she so important to you? Did she use her glamour on you? Or are The Elders trying to insure future Elemental girls for breeding?" He hypothesized.

"You know damn well we don't do that," I hissed.

"Haven't things changed now that you have not one, but two demigods on your side," he replied coldly.