Sacrifice, Cocoon and Dread

Start from the beginning

"He's helping me. I can't just let him die. If Gareth was willing to die for me I- "

"Sweet child, death is a natural," Gaia said cutting me off.

"But he doesn't have to die," Why? Why, did no care enough to try to help Gareth?

"He does," she said standing in front of me cupping my cheek. "You have given everything for a man who cannot love you. At least not the way you want; father, brother, lover, teacher. Now you're dependent on him. Freya, how can you grow if Chaos keeps you under his wings?"

"I need him," I whispered.

She pressed her forehead against my mine, "You need only yourself." She pulled away and pain hit me like a wave. Small lulls giving false hope of an end. Each peak robbed my ability to speak, sending me crashing to the ground. Blood ran out of me down my legs, thick and black red. It was as if my blood had become acid, intent of destroying me from the inside out. All I could do was whimper as I desperately gripped my stomach. I felt like my insides were falling out.

"The Fates have seen fit that no more children shall be born of Ares line to inherit his divinity. You, and you alone will be the last. Actions have consequences, and yours will echo throughout all eternity." I blinked and I was back in the garden staring up at the sky being dragged by my feet.

I gasped for a breath I didn't think would come. I cried out coughing up blood, "Help... Help..."

"Silence," the woman who attacked me hist as she yanked me forward. "Mother will be pleased once your delivered to her."

Nyx.

No. I was too weak to fight, and with every step forward I was losing more and more blood. But I had to do something.

I was so close.

Black clouds started to roll in paired with thunder and lightning like malevolent angels stretching out as far as the eye can see. Streaks of pure white crackled against a stormy blanket of grey, shrouding hot silver clouds with its blinding incandescence, emanating the might of an imminent tempest. Jagged bolts endlessly protruded, the sky was filled with undying flashes of radiance. The grass became glossy, reflecting the light. Rain washed my face of the sweat and dirt, droplets clung to my skin. The grass became glossy, reflecting the lightning above. A bright red symbol appeared in the sky. I could barely keep my eyes open, but I recognized the symbol. It looked just like Damon's tattoo. I smiled up at the sky. Maybe it was from lack of blood and just flat-out dying, but it was comforting to see.

"Ooooo, nooo," I said drooling on myself as lightening exploded out of the symbol and aimed itself directly down upon us. I screamed out too weak to cover my face, but I squeezed my eyes shut so tight I was sure my eyelids would fall off.

I heard a scream that was the kind of sound that bypassed your logical thinking and went direct to your emotional response. High pitched and raw. I couldn't tell if it was the woman kidnapping me or if it was my own screams of terror. I smell burning flesh... But it wasn't mine.

It missed me?

I opened my eyes to see the once green lush grass was now a pile of ash, soot, and dirt. Or was that my kidnapper? I shivered at the thought. Flames licked the surrounding area around me. My eyes started to tear up because of the thick smoke.

I was too weak to sit up. But what did it matter? I failed. I failed so fucking hard.

I didn't want to think about what Gaia had told me. I was going to have to put that pocket of information somewhere deep down in my brain until I was out of here. Sitting up was impossible, every muscle wanted to explode out of my body. I rolled over onto my stomach. If I couldn't walk. I would crawl.