Chapter 52: Distracting Pain

~ Jayleen's POV ~

"I'm breaking up with you," I watched the words leave Kassidy's lips.

"W-What?"

"I can't be with you, Jayleen," she said.

Tears are starting to fall, "Why, Kassidy... tell me what's wrong. We can work this out," I said. Walking after her as she went to get a box of tissues from her room, handing them to me. "...Thanks."

"We just can't."

"Tell me the reason. I want to know why."

"It's wrong, risky and dangerous. I don't want to put you through all that harm."

"That's bullshit, Kassidy, why? Why's the true reason that this is going on? We only have half the spring semester left... I graduate, and we're free."

She took my hands, and I looked into her eyes. She had sorrow, concern, pity, all the fear in her just to tell me. Once I did hear her... I really wish I didn't.

"I'm... still in love with Mitch," she said.

I stepped back, withdrawing my hands. Kassidy... is still in love with Mitch. Even during all of this. During the fights, during the time of spring break when we were at the beach house. When... when she told me she loved.

"What the fuck are you saying? Is it true? You... you told me you love me. Kassidy..."

"I know I did... you haven't said it back. I'm starting to think that you don't."

"Kass, that's not true. You know it's not," I said.

"Mitch called on Sunday after you left my house. We went out for lunch since he was here for a couple of conferences. He confessed that he still loves me. I... Jayleen, this has been great, but I can't take the suspense, and the consequences it will hold."

"Kass, please we can talk about this more. You said it yourself that I'm almost graduating. We had a promise that was broken... I thought that since we got back together, that the offer still somehow stood at the end waiting till I graduate," I begged.

"I'm sorry, Leen. I love you. I won't forget that. But... I doubt it when you haven't said it back. You know it's there. If I told you sooner and you haven't said it back by now... I don't know what else to say. Goodbye, Leen," she said. I placed my hands on her shoulders, stopping her from kicking me out of her house.

She gave me a weak smile and ran her hands up my arms to my lips, cupping my face. I felt the peck. But it went away too soon before I was walking backward and out of her house.

The door shut and my hand was hitting it for a couple of minutes, "Kassidy... please."

I'm softly crying, "Jayleen, it's for the best."

~~~<>~~~<>~~~<>~~~

"Ahhh!" I shot up in bed. My heartbeat increased, and my head hurts. I felt sweat running down my forehead, feeling hot like my room is a hundred degrees. The door opened, and my dad peeked his head inside.

"I heard you scream. Are you alright?"

"Yeah, bad dream," I looked around and rubbed my face. Now all I feel is my head pounding, "Hey do we still have the headache medication that I always took when I lived here? I bought a new bottle when I moved, do you think we still have it?"

"Yeah, they're stored in the restroom cabinet. I'll grab it for you. I don't want you to go through another... you know, blackout."

I nodded slowly and laid back down. He came back with the meds and water, "Thank you."