Chapter 5: No Cool Offs

~ Jayleen's POV ~

Speeding home, I parked the car as I heard my tire lightly screech as I slammed on the breaks. Just before midnight. I groaned, getting out and juggling my keys to find the right one to place in the lock as I was about to open the door, it flung open and I almost lost my balance.

"Jayleen Lauren White!" My mother yelled as she pulled me in the house and slammed the door, she's been using my full name so much and it bothers me, with anyone around she'd use Jayleen or even Leen, like she's the perfect mother and when we're alone maybe even with my father at home, she'll blow up on me for no shit of a reason. My mother hasn't been this pissed. This was beyond anything. Her hand slapped me across my face. Well... this is normal. "Why weren't you home last night?" She asked me.

"Well... I didn't want to stay here and say something to you that I will soon regret so I crashed at Sydnee's house. And I've been there ever since."

My mom suddenly came closer to me, "Do I... is that alcohol?! Jayleen, don't tell me you have been drinking." She said giving me her mother tone.

"I'm not drunk." I said.

"I am not influencing drunk driving."

"I just said I wasn't drunk, mother. Can you not comprehend anything is say?!" I said and she hit me again.

"Vanessa! I am tired of seeing you hit our daughter."

"She's drinking, Chuck!" My mom countered.

"Yes, she's twenty-two. She is legal to drink." My dad said to my mom.

"But you're influencing her to drive?"

"Well, I'm not drunk, and even if I am, I'd at least sober up before driving. And yes, I did go to the bar with Sydnee and Karina, if I was drunk, one of them would have driven my car home." I said.

"Oh, like that's a good idea." My mom commented and I'm already pissed.

"See... this is why I don't want to come home." I stated, "Your criticism and negative comments kill my mood. I can't come home to a loving family like five years ago. We haven't even had dinner together for the past five years. You'd be working or dad or I'd be at college. We haven't gotten the chance to sit and eat together, to laugh about the stupid and joyful things that happen through our day. When can that return instead of all of this! I want my family back, and as long as this debating argument is lasting, I don't think I can stay here." I said as I walked to my room.

"Jayleen at least let's sit and talk about this. When you're sober and not drunk." My dad said.

"Well... who's fault is that. And I'm not drunk! Do I have to yell it on a mountain for you guys to understand?! I'm not a drinker, I don't get drunk. But because of this stupid mess that has gotten chaotic every day, I am sick and tired of being treated differently by mom." I said to my dad. "Because of her, I'm getting the punishments, because of her, I can't come home with a smile that can stay on my lips. Because of her... this family is falling apart. Kale is married, he and Wendy are happy. And here I am, declining girls that ask me out because I know mom is going to fuck something up and cause such a ruckus. I'm afraid to date someone because even if I end up falling for them, what will mom say? I'm not letting a girlfriend that I have and date and love suffer through what my mom has done to me because she wants to change my sexuality. She'll start stating how a lesbian relationship can't last. See, she loves Kale, she loves Wendy, she loves them more than me. I can't be normal around her." I said as I began throwing a couple of items in a suitcase.

"Jayleen, don't leave this house. I know mom is a pain to deal with..."

"A pain? Do you know how much pain, physically and mentally to make it clear, that I have to fuckin' go through?!" I said to him. I looked at my dad with hurt eyes, "...I'm sorry. I shouldn't be blowing up on you about this..." I said as I buried my hands in my face.