"When Malachai gets out of jail if he hasn't already, yeah. I'm not sure where Skye is either. It worries me more every day."

"I swear, that bitch won't set foot in Serpent territory again," Toni vowed, gritting her teeth. "Everyone knows what she is. She won't last a second."

"She's slippery to say the least," Lauryn joked, although she meant it entirely. "No one could ever track her down when she was a Serpent."

Toni huffed in frustration. "I can't believe she went behind the gang's back for months, and we thought nothing of it."

"She just kept to herself, it's not our fault," Lauryn said, looking around to make sure they were all done. "Right, that's that. I can't wait to go home and wait for Sweet Pea to show his face."

They began making their way out, and Toni chuckled lightly. "Play nice, okay? The last thing you guys need right now is a heated argument. Just tell him to be careful."

"I'll try, but it really doesn't help that he wouldn't tell me."

"He knew you wouldn't be okay with it."

"Yeah, no shit."

"This is a... challenging time, Lauryn," Toni lectured softly in order not to give Lauryn the impression that she was arguing with her. "You're both terrified, him especially. He wants the best for you guys, even if it means... being an idiot."

"You got that right," Lauryn chortled. "I just... hate how it's happening now, when our baby is already at risk. Snake Charmers are dangerous, especially those named Penny Peabody."

"You think she'd rope in your kid?"

"Well..." Lauryn paused as Toni got onto her bike. "Let's just say she knows me because of my father. A little family history."

"Yikes, who are you and what've you done with the Lauryn Fogarty I met?"

Lauryn let out a laugh. "I'm sorry I never found the right time to bring up my dad's affairs, even though I happen to be the result of one."

"Wow, quite a prize, aren't you?"

They both laughed, and Toni held out her arms for a hug from where she was sat on her Harley. 

"I love you, Lauryn," Toni said, squeezing her best friend. "Whatever happens, I'm so proud of you."

"You're my best friend, Toni," Lauryn smiled, trying her hardest not to get emotional. "I'm more than thankful for you. For everything."

"I hear your tone," Toni teased, pulling away to see the line of water in Lauryn's eyes. "Don't you dare go all preggo-hormonal on me, because I'll cry, too. I'm saving my tears for the birth."

"Fair enough," Lauryn giggled. "Drive safe, okay? I'll let you know how it goes with Sweet Pea."

--------

As soon as Lauryn heard the keys turn in the lock, she jumped from where she was sat on the couch, guns blazing.

Sweet Pea opened the door, finding her standing there with her arms folded. "Angel Face, what are you doing up? It's two in the morning."

"Yeah, it is," Lauryn retorted. "Where the fuck have you been?"

"Woah," Sweet Pea cautioned, taking off his jacket and holding out his hands defensively. "Why are you so mad?"

"Why am I mad?" she exhaled. "Are you seriously asking me that?"

"Calm down, you're gonna hurt the baby."

"I'm glad you remembered that we're having one!" she snapped, raking her hands through her hair. "You better tell me what the hell you were doing, because I need to hear it from you."

"So, you know," Sweet Pea replied calmly, trying to approach her. "Wouldn't me saying it just piss you off even more?"

She backed away. "I don't give a shit. Just tell me what's going on with you! Is it Penny?!"

"All right!" Sweet Pea gave in, raising his voice over hers. "Yeah, it's Penny. I had to help with a drug round, and I would've said no, but Tall Boy's payin' us. You know we need the money, Lauryn, so I don't see what the problem is."

"So? Get a job like everyone else!" she yelled, refusing to take a single excuse from him as her anger made her feel sick. "You're risking everything. You know you can't get out of this now, right?!"

"Don't you understand that I had to?!" He took her by the shoulders, forcing her to look at him. "God, I'm sorry for trying to help stop us being broke when the baby's born!"

"Yeah? And what if you're arrested, o-or killed?" she stuttered, shivering at the thought. "I can't do this on my own, and you know that."

"It won't come to that. We're careful," he assured her softly. "Can you please just go lay down? I'm worried--"

She cut him short carelessly. "That's all you got? Careful?"

"Look, it's not like FP knows you're pregnant, Lauryn," he reminded her, knowing he was adding gasoline to the blaze. "You chose not to tell him. Maybe he wouldn't have asked me if--"

"Don't you dare try and put this on me," she warned, jabbing a finger at him. "You have no idea what I'm going through right now!"

"Maybe I don't, okay?" he admitted, trying once again to reach for her, but she shunned him for the second time. "But, you're going to stress the baby out if you don't chill. You know how fragile you are."

"You're stressing me out," she riposted, turning away from him. "Just leave me alone."

"You want me to leave you alone?" he asked, taking his keys. "Fine. I'll--"

"Oh, yeah, Sweet Pea, just walk away like you always seem to do!"

He stopped dead, and she turned to see him now facing away from her. She took a breath. "You promised not to leave me."

Sweet Pea faced her slowly, seeing the hurt on her face which extinguished the fury burning in his throat. His expression instantly softened. "Lauryn..."

"I know you don't want this," she uttered as her eyes rimmed with tears. There was nothing she hated more than being the walking proof of what he didn't want his life to turn out like. "Neither did I, but it's what I've got. Yeah, there were things I wish I did differently, but it's too late."

"Angel Face," he began, taking her hands. "I want this because it's with you, no one else. I'll do whatever it takes to keep our heads above water, okay? I just need you to trust me."

"Penny Peabody's business is not the way to go, though," Lauryn told him sternly, hoping he wouldn't turn away and argue with her again. "I would know. Please, talk to FP, try and find some way out of this. I'll try and tell him about the baby. I swear, I'll try."

"Okay, Angel Face," he finally agreed, and she let him cup her cheeks. "Deal."

Hugging him, she let out a hard sigh of relief before inhaling his cologne. He kissed the crown of her head, holding his arms around her. "I swear, I'll get us through this mess."

--------