Chapter 8: Alpha?

Salina's POV

Two weeks has past since the altercation with my mate. It was so awkward running into him at the toy store and I have a feeling that he was the one who paid for that expensive gift for Wes. Since that day at the toy store, I haven't seen him since.

It was as if he disappeared, not that I was looking or anything. Fine, maybe I was searching for him or hoping to run into him. Ever since we met, I could only think of him. All my dreams were about him. I felt worse and indescribable pain as the days pass without him.

My wolf refused to speak to me. She hates me now apparently. I felt a magnetic pull towards my mate. I wanted to look for him everyday and I couldn't help feeling a strong remorse for breaking his heart. The guilt was eating me alive.

My dreams were always of his face and the look of anger and despair he had because of me. I kept trying to convince my wolf and myself that we didn't need him but who am I kidding? I was lying to myself. The death of my pack gave me nothing but apathy. I felt detached from all my emotions and mainly tried to suppress them. I was stone cold and heartless even.

The only person I really cared about was Wes but seeing my mate, it reignited something in me that I thought I lost forever. I couldn't go a second without him on my mind. It drove me mad. I swear I could hear his voice in my head sometimes. Why did I need a mate now?

My friends could see the sudden change in my mood and my lack of concentration. I wanted to be alone at all times and it felt like everyone wanted something from me.

It was now midnight and I couldn't sleep. Every time I closed my eyes, I saw him. That's why I was walking in the woods holding the ruby and staring at it quietly. Wes was sleeping at the apartment. I'm just going on a short walk. I'm sure he will be fine. I stared hard at the Ruby rubbing my thumb against it's smooth surface.

"You shouldn't be out here?" A familiar deep voice startled me causing me to come to a halt.

I quickly slip the ruby back in my pocket and turn to look at the man I couldn't stop thinking about. His presence reignites an electricity through my body. It also caused my wolf to howl in my head with happiness. I turn to look at his tall figure. I could see him clearly even in the dark.

"And why not?" I ask folding my arms.

"You are about to cross the pack borders. It's also late at night; it's not safe for a woman to be alone at this time" he respond walking closer to me.

I took continuous steps back as he tried to get closer to me. My back hit a tree branch and I groan. He stands right in front of me. There was some space between us.

"I can handle myself. Are you stalking me?!"

"I was here first besides, I'm on patrol duty" he retorts. He moves his hand to my cheek but before he could touch me, I gently swat his hand away. It only made him more frustrated.

"Does the Alpha know you are lallygagging on the job?" I ask him looking around for an opening so I can break free from him.

"Alpha?" He gave me a confused look.

"The Alpha, leader of the pack" I replied in an obvious tone.

The confusion on his face increased and it also brought me into a state of bewilderment.

"You don't know?" He asked in shock.

"Know what?"

"Nothing, don't worry about it" he says with a smirk on his face. "You'll find out eventually"

There was a long awkward silence and I stared down at my feet interested in the twigs I was stepping on and crushing. I could feel his hard gaze on me.