4th Emotion

I stood outside the door of my room, trying to think of where I should go to let the time pass.

I began walking, not minding where I was going to end up. I went left, then right, then left again.

While walking, I decided to hum to the beat of my footsteps echoing through the empty halls.

“Yokko-chan…?”

I stopped and looked around, and saw Kanato coming out from a room. He seemed to have woken up suddenly.

“Did I disturb you, Kanato-san?” I asked. “I’m very sorry—I should have already known that almost everyone here is inactive in the morning. I’ll go now, and I’ll be quiet.”

I took a step but he suddenly appeared in front of me and smiled creepily.

“Ne, Yokko-chan?” he asked. “Will you go and spare some of your time with me? Let’s play with my toys in my room…”

I looked at him. “I guess I can. I don’t have anything to do anyway…”

I followed him inside his room.

The room was dimmed, since the curtains were trying to block the sun from entering, although it’s still raining. Toys were sprawled everywhere on the floor.

Kanato suddenly disappeared when I walked towards the window, trying to have a peek outside. The raindrops refused to let me see clearly so I gave up.

“You can sit wherever you like…”

Without looking where the voice came from, I sat down on the floor and leaned on the bed. I looked at the toys while the bed moved a little and creaked. Someone’s feet were beside me as I picked up a music box and wound the handle six times.

“You can have that if you want…” I heard him say.

I shook my head. “This is yours… I’m just looking at it.”

“Keep it.”

Staring at the music box, I nodded slightly and looked up at him. “Thank you, Kanato-san…”

Then he suddenly pinned me on the floor. He had his legs on either side of me and my right hand held up. He licked my wrist and smiled.

Fufu… I want to break you so much…” he whispered to my ear. “Why are you so emotionless? I want to see you in pain… I want to hear you cry out and writhe in pain! Why aren’t you trembling yet…?”

I just looked at his light violet eyes. “Pain…?

Then I tilted my head slightly to the right.

“What is pain?” I asked him. “Will you please explain me what pain is, Kanato-san?”

He looked at me, bewildered. “You don’t know pain?” Kanato asked back.

I shook my head.

STOP LYING!” he exclaimed. His grip on my wrist tightened. “LYING WOULD LEAD YOU NOWHERE! I TOLD YOU TO JUST SHOW YOUR STUPID FACE FULL OF AGONY!

I felt his fangs sink through my skin at my neck. I heard slurping sounds near my ear as he fed on me. And there I was, just looking up at the ceiling, wishing I could understand pain better.