Married Couple

"Does this one look good?"

"You look like a princess Via!"

Via smiled at her friend as she spun around the mirror. 

"Do you think he'll like it?"

"Oh absolutely! What about me? Does this color look good?"

"You look great in anything Molly, we both know who the real princess is here anyway."

The two girls grinned at each other before leaving the room. Via clutched her friend's hand in nervous excitement. Oh how wonderful this day would be for her!

. . . 

"Via! There's someone here for you!"

Via woke with a start. Still lost in her memories, she shook her head to get out of her trance. She couldn't help but remember the disinterest in Gavin's face when he saw her that night. While she smiled to everyone politely, she remembered an aching feeling growing inside her chest. 

That was during one of the Royce Family's banquets. That had been the first night Gavin went out publicly with Sophie. That was also the first time Via had felt her heart beak. 

"Yeah, he says his name is Alecai? Do you know this guy?"

Pulled out of her thoughts by her brothers' calls, Via quickly climbed out of her bed.

This man is really too much! Didn't I already agree to work with him? What is he doing at my house at this hour?

Sighing to herself, Via pulled on a soft cardigan and light fitted jeans, made her way to their kitchen. 

"Tell him I'm on my way," she called out to her brothers. 

"He says he won't leave without you. . ."

Shaking her head helplessly, Via quickly poured out coffee into two cups. 

"You didn't tell me you were going to come so early Cai. Didn't we agree that I would meet you at the office?"

"But I wanted to take you out for breakfast. . ."

Via's expression softened when she saw the pleading look on the normally serious man's face. How could she get mad at him when he was like this?

. . . 

"Are you sure you want that?" Alecai looked over Via's shoulder and playfully nudged her.

"Of course. Are you sure that's what you want?" She stared at him, challenging him.

"Fine. But I don't share." 

"Neither do I."

With that the two of them lapsed into a comfortable silence as their food came. 

Over the last few years, having meals together became routine for the two and thus seeing Alecai at her door in the morning, while surprising, wasn't too atypical for Via. 

"Hey!"

Alecai looked at Via accusingly as she smiled at him with her mouth full with his blueberry pancakes. 

"Didn't you make fun of me for ordering these?"

"That doesn't mean they taste bad."

He shook his head at her shamelessness. 

The two continued bickering throughout the morning before they began work. 

. . . 

"Gavinnnn"

While one pair was happily enjoying their breakfast, another was going through difficulties.

Gavin looked up absentmindedly when Sophie called his name. 

He had only agreed to spend time with her because of his obligations to his family's hope for them to marry. While he initially thought she was alright, he learned that she was just like any other girl he had encountered--if not worse.

"Hm?"

"Are you done?" 

Sophie peered at Gavin attentively, giving off an innocent look by looking through her lashes. From an outsider's point of view, Sophie Samuels could be considered a rare beauty, however, given his status, Gavin had already seen similar beauties. 

"You hardly ate anything."

"Oh, I need to cut back. I'm done." 

Sophie blushed, avoiding Gavin's glance. By doing this, she missed the annoyed look on his face. 

"Fine. Let's go."

Sophie followed Gavin out of the restaurant quickly. Behind her, the waiters watched the pair leave. They felt bad for the girl. She was clearly pining after the handsome young man. Yet, he didn't even look her in the eye when they talked. How great was the contrast between this pair and the one that came before them. They had been convinced that the other pair was an engaged couple. Not only did they share food, but they also bickered like a married couple! How great would it be to have such a relationship!