diecisiete

daniel was listening to his degree coordinator at the university. he was just told that he, along with many others, was lucky enough to be able to go to a conference in portland about writers.

daniel was very excited, especially for the fact that they let him take someone with him.

the only problem was that jack had said no. apparently he had his sister's birthday, sydnie, and he couldn't miss it. he was also going to take advantage of those days off to get away from college and zach.

jack didn't want to tell him that he had really gone through with zach to daniel because he didn't want to dwell on the subject anymore. and daniel accepted it, he just wanted jack and him to be as before.

then daniel thought of a second option. it could have been any but daniel chose jonah.

when daniel knocked on the door of the baseball player's room he wondered what he was doing.

why do i want to go with jonah? why do i want to spend time with him? do i still like him?

maybe yes, maybe i just wanted to spend time with him.

jonah opened the door and was surprised to see daniel in front of him. he hadn't heard from him since they were in the cafeteria. as much as he had tried to find daniel, he did not find him anywhere in the university.

"hey." said daniel. he was feeling like a fool.

he was realizing that he had very few people he really trusted in his life.

he had jack and probably jonah.

and corbyn was something else. he was a platonic love. something that could only be superficial. no matter how much daniel wanted that relationship to be profound. it couldn't be.

"hey." jonah said with a smirk.

"how you doing?" daniel asked.

jonah frowned. "did you come here to ask me that?"

daniel shook his head and took a deep breath before speaking. "i wanted to ask you if you have something to do this weekend?"

jonah laughed. "is it because of that writers conference?"

daniel was surprised to see that Jonah knew about the conference. "i guess you don't want to go because you don't care."

"i would love to." jonah said almost before daniel finished speaking. "the weird thing here  is why didn't you asked jack to go with you?"

"i did." said daniel making the older boy laugh.

"so I'm your second choice."

"third." daniel lied. he didn't want jonah to believe he was important to him. even if he was.

===

they had arrived at portland, jack had wished daniel luck. it had been a long bus ride but it had been worth it.

they had visited the center and then gone to visit a book signing of daniel's favorite author.
now they were entering the hotel. they were in the same room but with separate beds.