Prologue

Prologue

Brooke double checked her hair in the mirror. She took a deep breath in and let it back out as she slipped her feet into her tan high heels, running her fingers through her hair one last time. Brooke grabbed the door knob, twisted it and pulled the door open. Her eyes immediately looked at Nick and the bouquet of roses he had in his hands.

Brooke’s stomach filled with butterflies as a smile fluttered upon her face. Her eyes lids flickered over her dazzling blue eyes as she slowly walked down the stairs to Nick. He smiled and goofily handed the roses to her. Her smile was plastered on her face as she hugged him. Her cheeks turned pink as she giggled when Nick pulled her body close to his.

“Thank you for asking me,” Brooke whispered as she let go of his warm and energizing embrace.

Nick chuckled, “Thank you for going with me.”

Brooke turned around as Kelly whisked the flowers away and put them in a vase. Josh stood at the top of the stairs, peeking over the hand rail at his sister. He smiled, she looked beautiful. Josh thought of pulling a prank and ruining her very first prom, but he went against it. It was time to leave the foolish tricks and games in his room and let Brooke have her moment to shine.

Randy, Brooke’s dad, pulled the camera out of its case. Nick sighed, not wanting to take pictures at all. Brooke looked at him and gave him a smile. After seeing that Brooke was happy, Nick smiled too, happy she had agreed to be his date to prom after months of convincing.

Nick looked at Brooke as she took pictures with her mom. He felt someone walk up next to him. Nick looked down to see Josh, Brooke’s little brother. Nick looked back to Brooke and gave a grin. Nick’s hair was slicked to the side in a 1950s fashion. His tux was nice and clean without a trace of fuzz, hair, or dandruff around. Nick winked at Brooke and saw her face turn pink once more.

“You hurt her,” Josh said, “you die.”

“What?” Nick blinked and looked at Josh. Josh was looking straight ahead at now Brooke and Randy.

“You heard me.” Josh spoke.

Nick took a breath in, “Then I know of a few guys that should be on your list to be killed.”

“Keep talking,” Josh nodded.

“Not now, okay?” Nick asked, smiling back at Brooke as she waved him over.

Brooke and Nick posed for pictures and then traded a boutonniere for a corsage. Brooke started to complain and just wanted to go to dinner with Nick. Her back started to ache, but she knew if she had gone on the dance competition, she’d be in a lot more pain.

As Randy and Kelly started to cry, Brooke hugged them both and said goodbye. Nick opened the door to the limo for her. She smiled and thanked him before crawling in. Nick scooted in after her and closed the door on the way in.

“Isn’t this better than going to the dance competition?” Nick asked.

Brooke looked from the window to Nick’s pale green eyes. For a moment, she thought of saying yes, but in an instant she knew she would be on the bottom of the pyramid on Monday. Brooke debated on her answer for what seemed like seven thousand years to Nick.

Nick turned away, “I get it.”

Brooke shook her head, but Nick didn’t see it. She kicked her high heels off and pulled her left leg under her bum. She sat up on her knees and pulled Nick’s face into a sweet kiss. Their lips, sweet as candy, met as if they’d been doing it for years. Nick pulled away and smiled at Brooke.

Hoping her words would solve all the problems, Brooke said, “I love you.”