Chapter Forty-Five

"The big day already? Consider my sparing him a wedding gift." I sighed. Couldn't I ever have a nice night? "For him."

"What? What does that mean?" I asked. All of a sudden, I felt something pull my body out of the usual darkness and slam me down. Before I knew it, something cold and familiar was around my wrists and ankles. I was strapped down.

I did my best to look at myself, seeing that I was dressed in nothing but shorts and a tank top. I looked around and saw an all too familiar purple figure looming beside me.

"Hello, child. Have you missed me?"

"Fuck off." I spit at him as best as I could.

"You have such courage to spit at someone such as myself."

"Yeah? Well, it's all I really can do. You kind of have me strapped to a table." He pulled out a blade, much like the many times he had years before. I wasn't too shocked to see what he planned to do next.

"You've already hurt yourself so much. You haven't left any room for me. Why?" He actually seemed shocked. As if he didn't expect me to do something like that.

"Because I've been through a lot of shit."

"Then I suppose the usual won't really work," he said, snapping back to the mindset he had a moment before.

"Wh-What do you mean?"

"Let's try something new." He tossed the blade to the ground. Then, he summoned some sort of metal things to his hand.

"What is that?"

"I believe you have something similar on Earth. I think it looks a bit different, though." He pressed a button, and I saw electricity flowing between the tips.

"No. Come on. Please don't." He stepped closer to me, lowering his hand. The second the metal connected with me my body went into a fit of spasms. I clenched my teeth. I had felt this only once before. That day, it was Thor who hurt me.

"You have a strong mind," he said as he pulled it away. I took a moment to catch my breath before speaking.

"What does that mean?"

"You think this is just pointless torture?" I raised an eyebrow at him.

"Yeah, kind of."

"You're wrong. This is me trying to show you that you can break. You aren't invulnerable. You are weak."

"Why? What's the point?"

"In order to seize your mind, I have to break your barriers. You're not the only one I've done this to."

"Who else?" He electrocuted me again, not pulling it away as he spoke.

"The only one you would know is Loki." He hurt Loki. I instantly decided I was going to murder Thanos the second I got the chance.

He finally pulled it away. "Loki?"

"Yes, but I must say, you have held out so much longer than him. He took time, but not nearly as much as you. You're my most difficult challenge so far. You've taken years, and you're still your own. But fear not, I will change that."

"Why?"

"I need you. I was forced to release him from my hold forever. Now I have you. I think if he had met you back then, I would have had a much more difficult time taking his mind. Perhaps that why you have held out. Because of him."

He electrocuted me again and again, nothing but silence in between. And my screams, of course. I screamed for what felt like hours on end. I just wanted to wake up. More than anything, I wanted to wake up.

******

It was so sudden, waking up. I almost fell off the bed. I immediately scooted back, hoping to have Loki hold me. I reached for him only to remember that he wasn't there.

I felt afraid. I could almost feel the pain flowing through me. I hated it. I wanted Loki. He made me feel safe. Now I felt cold and alone. It was a feeling I never wanted to feel again.

It felt like I had locked myself in his room again. It almost felt as if he had never really come back, as if it was all some realistic dream.

Stop that, I told myself. It's your wedding day. At least try to be happy.

Loki wasn't gone, I knew my doubts were just getting the best of me. But it wasn't a dream. It was all real, and today we were getting married.

Oh my God, I'm getting married. I carelessly threw the covers away. I sat up, smiling like a child. What time is it? I checked the clock to see that it was almost noon. The wedding wasn't until four.

I felt something tugging at the back of my mind. I could tell that Loki wanted in. Part of me desperately wanted to let him in, but I knew I had to stay strong.

I let down the barrier for just a moment. Sorry, Loki. Not yet.

"No, don't" I instantly put it back up. I felt bad teasing him like that but I think I deserved a little fun. He nagged at the wall between our minds for a few more minutes before giving up. I knew he could last a few more hours.

I knew I had at least a little time to myself. We didn't have to go somewhere else. Loki and I had decided just to do it in the Avengers base. Apparently, Tony knew he would have some sort of parties and press conferences here, so he had a large empty room built.

It happened to be perfect, so we went with it.

I decided to take a shower. I felt grimy but I also knew the warm water would be soothing. After I finished up in the shower, I dried my hair. Shortly after, I heard a knock at the door.

"Just a second," I called out. I made sure my robe was tied tightly before answering the door. Elisa stood there with wide eyes, a wide smile, and a black dress in hand. She was wearing her green dress. She had already prepared herself; all I had done was shower.

"Are you excited?" she asked.

"Yes. I'm also nervous, and I feel like I could throw up, but I'll be fine."

"Aww," she said as she walked in and set the dress on my unmade bed. She faced me, putting her hands on my shoulders. "You can do this."

"Yeah, I know," I said quietly. She smiled as she pushed me towards the dress. "Already?"

"We still have to do your hair and makeup. I don't know about you, but I think it would be easier to put the dress on first." It seemed reasonable enough.

I had just gotten the dress on when we heard a knock at the door. "Go see who it is," I told Elisa. She happily obliged and practically skipped over to the door.

"It's Natasha," she told me. I gestured for her to let her in. Natasha peered her head around the door, clearly hiding something.

"Somebody wanted to meet you," Natasha said. The little girl from the phone call peeked her head out from behind Natasha. "Go on." She stepped fully out from behind her and walked nervously towards me.

"Hi," she said with her hands before her back. "I like your dress."

"Thank you," I told her as I knelt down. "I like yours. You look like a princess." I could tell that she was still getting comfortable around me. We had only met once before on a video call. I was surprised she was allowed to do it because of that.

"I'm Cassie." She stuck out her hand for me to shake it. I did so with a smile.

"Hi, Cassie. I'm Lilith. Are you excited?"

"Yeah. I think weddings are romantic. But," she leaned in to whisper. "I think the part where they kiss is kind of gross." I couldn't help but laugh a little. I leaned in to whisper back.

"I think that's the best part." She giggled as she moved away. "Do you want to help me get ready?" I asked at a normal volume. She nodded excitedly. "Then let's get started."