Chapter Twenty

"Alright folks, get to your positions. We're doing this thing," Stark instructed. Everyone went in different directions except for Stephen. He sat down as I darted into the sky. I flew to the top of one of the wrecked ships.

I looked down at Stephen as everyone secured their positions. Somehow, Stephen managed to stay perfectly calm as Thanos approached him. Good thing it wasn't my job because I probably would have attacked him on the spot.

As I watched, I noticed a slim dark figure behind him. Loki.

I could see them speaking, but I was so far up that I couldn't hear a thing. Stark was watching, waiting to give us all the signal.

Stephen spoke calmly to Thanos but my focus was switching between Stark and Loki.

Loki glanced around, seeming to understand that something was off. He looked up, almost spotting me. I ducked back enough so that I could still see. I only hoped he couldn't see me.

Stephen said something to Thanos that made him looked perplexed. I looked down to Stark, seeing him giving the signal.

I spread my wings and darted down. Stark moved in to attack, being shot away. Everyone else attacked simultaneously. I was still mid-dive.

Almost there. I grabbed my daggers as I neared the ground. I readied myself to make contact with Thanos when something rammed against me, taking me to the ground. As soon as I made contact with the ground, I sat up to see Loki on the ground a few feet away from me.

"Shit," I said as I stood. Loki did the same, pulling out two daggers of his own. "Loki, please don't make me fight you."

He just stared at me since he couldn't answer with his lips sewn together. Thanos will pay for that, too.

Loki darted towards me. I barely managed to dodge him as his daggers skimmed the metal scales on my arm. I had never had to fight Loki before, so I wasn't sure what to expect.

He was quick, too quick. But he was also tall. I was shorter than him, but not so much that I couldn't use it to my advantage.

Loki struck again, but I tried to keep it down to defensive moves from myself. "Damn it, Loki. I know you're in there. Just fight it."

He looked me dead in the eyes as our blades were locked together. The sapphire stones that replaced his emeralds pierced a hole in me.

"Come on, Loki. Don't you remember me?" His leg swept under mine and knocked me to the ground. "All right, fine. I'll deal with you later."

I rolled as he tried to step on me. I spread my wings and took off towards Thanos. A hand wrapped around my ankle and jerked me back. "Shit!"

Loki slammed me back down to the ground. He was ready to impale me but I did the only thing I could think to do. I grabbed his leg and pulled him down with me. He grunted as I pinned myself on top of him.

"Hey there," I said. I had his arms pinned down, not sure what to do next. Before I could decide, he shot his head up at mine. Our heads collided and I fell to the side. I rubbed my head.

"Damn." I blinked rapidly as my vision tried to focus. Before I knew it, Loki was on top of me. "Easy there, tiger," I joked. I didn't even get so much as a smirk. "Tough crowd."

He had my arms on the ground, preventing me from using my daggers. I used as much force as I could to try to push him off of me. He was a lot stronger than he looked.

I managed to get my wings out from under me and shove them in his face. He let go of my arms to try and swat my feathers away. I pushed him down and shot into the air. I barely managed to be quick enough to get to the others.