Chapter Fifty-Six

"Good morning, love. I hope I didn't wake you," Loki said sleepily. He did wake me, but it was okay. Unfortunately, he only woke my mind. I liked it better last time. It felt like a few hours last time. Now I could hear every second of it. I was trapped.

"Did you sleep well? I hope you did. I know I would have slept better if we were in our own bed. I hope you feel comfortable. As comfortable as you can be, anyways. I cannot wait until you wake up. You will be in my every thought. Soon, I will have to go. Bruce will take care of you. He'll figure this out. I know he will. I have faith in him."

I heard Loki start crying. It broke my heart to hear his sobs. I hated being the source of his pain.

No, please. Don't cry. Please, don't cry. But he couldn't hear me.

"I'm sorry. I know I shouldn't cry," he said with a broken voice. "But I can't help it. I just miss you so much already. I know you're right here in front of me, but it's not the same. I don't get to hear your beautiful voice or your witty remarks. I would give anything to have you back, my love. Anything."

I heard the door open and close.

"How is she?" It was Thor.

"Well enough for now." I heard Loki sniff. I guessed he wiped his nose, too.

"I'm truly sorry, brother. I wish I knew what happened. I'm sure she will wake up soon."

"Last time it took two months. What if it takes longer? What if she doesn't wake up this time?"

"She will, Loki."

"You don't know that!" Loki got off the
bed-table thing. "What if I've lost her forever?"

"You can't think like that. It will get you nowhere."

"You don't get to tell me how to think. You don't understand how it feels!"

"I understand what it's like to lose a lover, Loki. I know more than you think."

"But Jane is alive and well! Lilith, she... she..." I heard something land on the ground. "If you wanted to, you could go find Jane right now. You could go to her and speak to her. You would know that she could hear you. You would know that she's alright."

"No, Loki, I couldn't. Do you know why? Because Thanos took her from me. Thanos took her, and I could have stopped him. But I failed. Her death is on my hands. Everyone's is."

"Thor, I'm sorry. I had no idea."

"It's alright, Loki. She will be fine. For now, you have to be fine. We can get through this together, alright?"

"Y-Yes."

"Come here, Loki." I wasn't sure, but I had a feeling they were hugging.

"Hello, Lilith," I heard Thor say. I felt his hand on mine. "I am truly sorry. I will do whatever I can for you. I love you, sister." I felt his warms lips on my forehead for just a moment. "Sleep well."

"Thank you, brother. I'm sure she will appreciate it."

"Bruce will be coming soon. Say what you need to say. And please, don't take your anger out on him. He's only trying to help."

"I know. He's doing more than I could ever do. I'll make sure to tell her what he's done ifwhen she wakes."

"I'm going to travel somewhere, so I won't be here for a while. Will you be alright?"

"Where are you going?"

"I want to find Darcy. She's still alive and I want to help her. I think we finally found where she's at. Steve agreed to go with me. You're welcome to come, as well."

"No, I can't leave her. Thank you, but I'm staying with her. She needs me here. Goodbye, Thor."

"Goodbye, Loki." The door opened and shut once more. I couldn't tell if Loki was still there. I hoped he was, but I also didn't want him to miss out on things because of me.

"I'm still here," he said, almost as if he knew my thoughts. "I hope you don't mind, but I just want to do something." I felt the weight of his hand on my stomach. He wanted to feel the baby. "I still can't believe it. We're having a baby. I wish my mother were here to see this. To see you. She would absolutely adore you. I know it. I know you met her before, but she never really got to know you."

"Hey, Loki," Bruce said.

"Hello."

"How is she?"

"I believe she's well enough. No alarms went off."

"That's good. Do you mind if I have a look?"

"Go ahead." I heard Loki move away. "I really appreciate what you're doing. Even after all I've done."

"It's no problem. Besides, I like Lilith. She's nice. If I can do anything to help her, I will."

Thank you, Bruce.

"How is the baby?" Loki asked.

"Healthy. I think the baby will be just fine."

"Good. That's good."

"I'm really sorry. I wish I could tell you what's happening to her."

"I wish I knew, too, but you're doing all you can. That's more than enough."

"I just... If Tony were here, he could figure this out. I hope he gets here soon. He could help her."

"Then we must try to find him. I will do what I can. I will do everything I can to get him here."

"Really? That's great. I might be a while, so you can go take a walk or something."

"Yes, I suppose I could go do something. Do you mind?"

"Go ahead." I felt Loki hold his head close to mine.

"I'll return soon. Don't worry. I'm just going to freshen myself up a bit, alright? I love you." He left.

"Just hang in there, Lilith," Bruce said. "I'm doing my best, but Tony's coming. When he gets here, he can help you. I know it. I'm going to do a few more tests. Just hang tight."

******

"I'm back, darling." Bruce had finished up a little while ago, leaving me alone in the cold room. Loki sprawled himself out beside me, pulling the blanket back up. "I hope it's alright if I don't read tonight. I swear I'll do it tomorrow."

It's fine. As long as you're here, it's fine.

"We contacted Elisa, today. I hate to say it, but she was heartbroken. I think you deserve to know. I looked into some of the texts from Stephen's sanctum. Wong let me search the books. Wong is Stephen's friend, by the way. I fully intend on finding a way to get Tony here. I don't doubt that he'd be willing to help you. I don't know how long it will be, but hopefully not much longer." I felt him kiss my cheek. "Goodnight, Lilith. I love you."