Chapter Forty-Two

"Where the hell is he?" I asked as we searched the halls.

"This place is more of a labyrinth to me than it is to you. You would be the one to find him," Loki said.

"Wow, that's helpful." I sighed as we walked. I was dragging him along by his wrist.

"You could loosen your grip a bit."

"No, I couldn't. Where is he?"

"I don't know, but you're hurting me. Can you please let go? Or at least hold my hand normally."

"Ugh, fine." I grabbed his hand.

"That still hurts. Are you all right?" I kept walking. "Lilith? What's wrong?" He stopped and pulled me back.

"I'm fine." I tried to keep walking but he wouldn't let me go.

"Lilith, what's the matter?" I looked down at the floor.

"I'm fine." He put his hand no my chin and turned my face towards him. I averted my eyes away from him.

"Darling, look at me." I gave up and met his dazzling eyes. "What's wrong?"

"I... What if he says no? What if he doesn't give me immortality? I mean, it might not be the greatest thing in the world, but if it lets me stay with you, I'll do it."

"Why would he say no? Lilith, you're like a sister to him. I don't think he would want to lose you, either."

"But he could still say no. Maybe I'm not good enough to be immortal. I mean, other Valkyries probably had to prove themselves worthy or whatever of being immortal."

"I don't think it works like that, but if anyone would be worthy, it's you, love."

"I'm just afraid he'll find some reason to say no. I mean, I could think of a thousand reasons right now."

"Well I can't even think of one." He smiled at me, making me feel a lot better. "I may not always be on the best terms with my brother, but he has no reason to say no to this."

"Do you really think he'll agree?"

"I know he will." Loki pulled me closer, bringing his lips to mine. "But we have to find him so we can ask."

"Okay, let's go."

After a while, we gave up. We couldn't find him anywhere.

"How the hell can we not find him? We've searched this whole place," I said as sat on one of the chairs in the room.

"I have no idea," Loki said. "He was horrible at hiding when we were children."

"Really? Well, we must be horrible at finding." Loki sat beside me, so I rested my head on his. "Maybe we could ask someone."

"There's no one here to ask."

"I know. And we probably couldn't find anyone to ask anyways." All of a sudden, the door opened. I peered my head up to see Thor walking in all mopey. "You've got to be kidding me! Where have you been all day?"

"What?" he asked. "Are you all right?"

"We've been looking for you all day!" I told him. I stood up and hugged him. I could tell he was confused, but I held on.

"I... You've been looking for me? Why?"

"Because we have an important question to ask you." I stood up. I hadn't expected myself to be nervous, but I was. I looked back at Loki. He must have sensed my unease because he stood up and walked behind me. I held my hand behind me, expecting him to take it. Luckily, he did.

"It's alright, love. You can do it," he whispered. I looked back to Thor. He seemed confused yet patient.

"A-All right. Yeah. I... Thor, I have a question. A really important question. So important, that I'm kind of afraid to ask it."

"Lilith, stop it. Ask the question."

"If you think it's that easy, ask him yourself."

"I can't. Besides, I asked you the most important question in anyone's life. This isn't that difficult." I sighed and saw Thor just smiling at us.

"Right, sorry. I was hoping you might... grant me... immortality." His smile widened.

"I would be honored to."

"Really? Oh, that's great! Wait, not right now though."

"Then when?" he asked.

"At the wedding. I just thought it could be a double occasion thing." I unintentionally squeezed Loki's hand.

"At the wedding then." I turned around and gave Loki a kiss. He looked shocked but he easily gave in.

"See, I told you it wasn't that hard," he said.

"I would beg to differ. I felt like I could have passed out."

"Thank you, brother. Really," Loki told Thor. "She was afraid you would say no."

"I was not," I protested, knowing very well that I was.

"Why would I say no?"

"That was just my anxiety speaking. Feel free to ignore it. That's what I do." Loki managed a small laugh.

"Well, I'm glad you finally asked. I suppose I shall see you in two days if not sooner?" Thor asked. He seemed much happier than the last time we saw him. I guess this is what they meant when they said the wedding might give hope to those who need it.

"Yes, I suppose you will," Loki said. "Thank you again, Thor."

"Of course, brother. And Lilith, don't ever feel afraid to ask me anything. All right?" He put his hand on my shoulder as he spoke.

"Yeah, okay." He smiled and pulled me into another hug. "Thanks, Thor."

"It's no problem. Soon enough, I'll be able to call you sister."

"But I'll be able to call her my wife. I think that's much better," Loki said. I looked over to him and saw the biggest grin on his face.

"What's that look for?" I asked him with a smile of my own.

"You, of course. Every smile I have is for you."

"There you go again with your Hallmark lines."

"I still haven't the slightest idea what that means."

"Maybe I'll show you later."

"Well, I'll leave you two to it," Thor said. I had almost completely forgotten he was there.

"Right," I said. "See you around." He smiled and nodded before walking off.

"See? I told you he would allow it," Loki bragged.

"Yeah, yeah. You were right." He gave me a look. A look that said, Haha, I told you so. "But I wouldn't expect that to happen again."

"Is that so?"

"Yes, it is. Now come on, I have to educate you on Hallmark movies."

"Alright, then educate me."

I began to walk away but he pulled me back. "I thought you said—" He scooped me up into his arms. "Oh, this again?"

"Don't you like it?" he asked with a smile.

"You know I do," I answered with a smirk. He smiled and took off running. I grabbed onto his shirt. I squealed like a child as he ran. "One day," I told him. "One day, you'll be doing this with a child in your hands." He slowed to a stop.

"Really?" he asked with a wide smile.

"One day. One day, you'll be the best father. But I'll be expecting a turn, too. The kid shouldn't have all the fun. Come on, we'll talk about it in the room."

"I love you so much."

"I love you, too. Come on, this is getting uncomfortable."