Chapter 3

"See'ya tomorrow!". I yell out to Itsuka and Ibara, entering my house and closing the door behind me. I see Nemuri sitting on the sofa, watching TV. "Sounds like you had fun". She says with a smile. "Yeah, I did". I tell her, sitting down next to her.

"Besides Itsuka, there was this other girl, Ibara Shiozaki. They showed me around to the best shops and places to go, they even took me to check out the school". I tell her, a bright smile on my face as I enthusiastically wave my hands around.

"Oh, and they invited me out tomorrow with some of their friends. I'm kinda nervous to be around more people, but I know that it'll be kids my age so I'm sure it'll be fine". I add. I let out a satisfied sigh, leaning back onto the sofa.

"I'm glade that you made friends today". She tells me, patting my head. "I'm not a kid". I giggle at her. Her smile widens for a second, before dropping into a frown. "What's wrong?". I ask her. "No,". She tells me, putting her hand on my cheek. "Nothing is wrong".

She smiles at me once again, letting go of my cheek. "You stink, go take a bath". She tells me in a giggle. "Brutally honest much?". I giggle, standing up and walking away. I quickly grab a towel and go into the bathroom.

I start up the tap and open the window, letting the steam go out. I strip down to nothing, then climb into the warm tub. I smile to myself, the warm water is lovely. Everything is quiet, everything is peaceful, everything is perfect.

I jolt up, hearing a loud howl off in the distance.

"Was that...what? What was that?". I question, looking out the window. "Are there even wolves in Japan?". I ask myself. "Don't...know...". I feel a shiver go down my spine, making me shiver. Even if it scared me, the echoing still sounded...pretty, in a way.

Back in the city the only wild animal I'd hear was crows, but its cries where only from speakers. It was ghostly, making the city seem more like an apocalypse. The fact that there are woods right next to the house makes the howl more haunting.

"I'm out!". I stand up and close the window, then stepping out and wrapping a towel around myself. I dry myself and re-dress myself. I leave the bathroom, walking back into the living room.

"You sure where quick". She points out. "Didn't you hear that howl?". I ask her. "A howl? Something like that, faintly, but there are only two types of wolves in Japan". She tells me. "Huh, so there are wolves in Japan...". I mutter to myself.

"We're in the mountains, so it's no surprise that there are wolves. Just don't worry about it, okay?". She tells me. "I'll...I'll be in my room". I tell her, walking off to said room. "Oh, okay...". I hear her. I walk in and close the door. 

I sit down on the floor, leaning against my bed. The sound of that howl feels haunting to me, it repeating over and over again in my head like a broken record, echoing just like before. After a while, a cry turns into more of a lullaby, rocking me to sleep.