Prologue

It felt like the funeral was years a go, but it ended only a few minutes. Friends and family where chatting outside the building, while I stay sitting on the sidewalk. My grandmother, the woman that raised me since I was born, is dead.

I swear that I'm the only one that cares, the proof being the dry tears on my face. When I was born, my mother was too busy to take care of me, so my grandmother took me in. My mum moved to a small town in the woods to live with my aunt, because of better work.

The chatter sounded muffled, cars zoomed past and made my hair flow in the wind. I feel a hand on my shoulder, I turn to see my mother and aunt. "You've grown up so much". She says, smiling at me. I frown at her, knotting my eyebrows together.

"Why're you smiling? Your mother died and you're talking to your daughter that you haven't seen since I was 1". I growl at her. She sighs, sitting down next to me. "I know that you feel abandoned, but I did it all for you". She tells me.

"You don't know how I feel". I mutter, lowering my gaze to the road. "Well, I'm your legal guardian so you'll be moving in with me and your aunt". She explains with a sigh, standing up. "You'll be seeing me a lot more now". She adds, walking away.

My aunt walks over to me, crouching down to my sitting form. "Do you remember me? My name is Nemuri Kayama, I'd come over when you where younger and we'd play together". She re-introduces herself. "I remember". I answer in a softer tone.

To be honest, I trust auntie Nemuri more then my own mother. She smiles at me, sitting down next to me. "I know you don't like your mum. But please, try to get along with her". She requests, looking down at me.

I hug my legs close to me, my knees pressed against my chest. "No promises". I answer. She stands up and holds her hand out to me. "By the way, you'll be taking the families last name now". She adds. I grab her hand and she pulls me up.

I go to let go of her hand, but she keeps a tight grip on me. "You're grieving, young lady, and you need comfort". She tells me, not turning to look at me. I only sigh and let it happen. She brought me over to a jet black car, opening the back door and closing it once I got inside.

I can feel my mothers gaze on me, but I only look out the window. The car starts up and drives away from the building, seeing other buildings pass us. A sudden question came to mind. "Wait, what about all my stuff?". I ask the older women.

"We're going back to your apartment to get your stuff". Nemuri answers. 'I doubt all my stuff will fit in the car'. I let out another sigh, leaning back in my seat and closing my eyes, letting myself drift off into the darkness.