"She be mad at me I go with you and see daddy?" Cypher asks and it hurts my heart more that he knows Abigail will fly off the handle.

She won't be around to judge his choice.

I shake my head, "No..." my voice trails off slightly as I say, "...she'll be gone. Forever...you might feel something for her loss, but remember what she's done to you and how she's kept you in the dark."

Cypher is quiet for a moment before he nods and wipes his cheeks of the stained tears.

"Stay here," as I say this, fear spikes within him, scrambling to his feet as he wraps his small arms around my right leg. I gently rub the top of his head, releasing a small sigh and stating, "I promise, I'll come back for you."

"Promise broken for," Cypher hugs my leg tighter, nearly crying into it as he shakes his head.

Abigail...

...I never thought I'd say it, but she's a worse mother than Rose was to mine.

I didn't think that was possible...

I gently pry his arms away, kneeling once more and capturing his gaze. I smile brightly and tell him, "I don't break my promises," I pause a moment as I gather an idea that helped Edith whenever she thought someone might not keep a promise.

I hold out my hand curled except for my pinky, Cypher lifting his hand and wrapping his pinky with mine. He asks once more, "Promise?"

"Promise," we squeeze each other's pinkies and he smiles. It's a beautiful and genuine smile, my heart swelling with the notion that I can possibly help change his future...

...and Grandpa needs to step up and be the father that he should have been, regardless of what his mates' opinions are...no child should be cast out due to it not solely being conceived through two akin mates.

Nodding at Cypher, I rise to my full height, pushing off the floor and landing on the loft above. I see the way his gaze trails after me, awe in his eyes. I can't leave through the door that Abigail did, because I don't know what's waiting on the other side. Once out of sight from Cypher, I allow the darkness to cloud my heart, the glamour falling over the heartbeat.

Instead of taking my leave through the door, I weave my way back down the stairs, cautiously moving through the levels of the estate and avoiding those who wander the halls. The very first stages of Abigail's plan to one day ruin Grandpa is evident by the books those in her coven are reading up on.

Who is Kat to Cypher and why are her parents taking her away from the estate?

My recon is complete once I've pinpointed those who are not settling in for dinner. It takes them a while to gather, my position is currently hidden on the second level right at the top stair landing. No one is on this level or higher, save for Cypher and me. Crouching low, I observe a tall vampire leading five humans from a hallway near the kitchen. The majority are male, the two girls separating away from their male counterparts once they reach the dining room.

They circulate around the dinner table, the vampires of Abigail's coven chatting with one another, only to be broken up for a moment to feed on the human that nears them. I can't attack now as it will be risky with the lives of the humans at stake, their constant movements unpredictable as they move from each coven member.

One of the vampires sitting nearest Abigail asks, "Where's your son?"

"The little shit can't do one damn thing right," Abigail's nostrils flare as others notice his missing presence. She turns to the vampire and retorts, "He'll starve then and learn to listen and respect his elders."