41) Cheronica

Veronica walks into school late. Her morning has been rough, full of yelling parents and and drama with her friends. She walks into class and sits down. The teacher ignores the fact that she finally showed up and keeps teaching. Veronica takes out a notebook and adjusts her glasses to focus on what the teacher was doing as she didn't have enough time to put in her contacts. She then pulls out a textbook.

"What page are we on?" Veronica leans over and asks Cheryl.

"235," Cheryl replies with a smile that wasn't reciprocated.

Veronica hastily flips through the pages until she reaches 235 and tries to focus on what the teacher is going on about but she can't. She keeps thinking about this morning and everything that happened while doodling in her notebook instead of taking notes like she should've been. After class Veronica packed up her things, walked out of the classroom, and headed down the hallway.

"Hey," Cheryl says coming up behind her.

"Hi, Cheryl," Veronica replies flatly.

"Is everything okay? I'm just asking because you just don't seem like yourself," Cheryl asks kindly, with a sense of compassion in her voice.

"I'll be fine. I just have to get through today," Veronica sighs.

Cheryl stops, gently grabs Veronica's arm, and pulls her to the side of the hallway.

"Seriously, Cheryl, I just want to get to class," Veronica huffs.

"Listen," Cheryl says, "you don't have to talk to me but you can. You know that I'm always here to talk to you, right?"

Veronica's expression softens and Cheryl's hand drifts from the top of Veronica's arm to her hand.

"Thank you, Cheryl. I appreciate it, I really do, but I promise you that what I'm going through I can deal with. If I ever need you I will come to you, okay?" Veronica says.

Cheryl nods. "Okay, if you ever need anything don't ever hesitate to come and talk to me. I here for you no matter what."

Veronica smiles. "Thank you," she says. "We should get to class."

Cheryl looks around at the empty hallway. "You're right. I have to go this way but I'll see you at lunch."

"Okay, see you then," Veronica says and they part ways.

As they turn to walk away from each other, Cheryl's fingertips lightly brushed against the palm of Veronica's hand, sending chills down her spine.

A few hours went by and soon it was lunch time. Veronica sat on one side of the table in between Cheryl and Betty and on the other side sat Jughead, Archie, and Kevin.

"So, girls," Cheryl says, "I was thinking we should do another dance for cheer. Something to just spice up our routine, ya know?"

"That's a good idea," Betty says. "What do you think?" Betty asks Veronica.

Veronica snaps out of her thoughts. "Uh, yeah, that's a great idea."

"Everything okay, V?" Betty whispers.

"Yeah," Veronica whispers back, "I'll be okay."

"What do you guys think?" Kevin asks the girls that weren't listening to the conversation that the boys were having.

"Think about what?" Cheryl asks.

"Isn't everyone just like a little bit gay?" Kevin asks.

Betty tilts her head to the side. "I mean, when I kissed Veronica I didn't hate it but that doesn't mean that I would date her. I guess that makes me a little gay," Betty laughs.