22) Choni vs Cheronica (Part 2)

The next day was Saturday. Veronica texted Archie and told him to meet her at Pop's so he did and there they sat, Veronica trying to muster up the courage to tell him what had happened.

"Ronnie, what's going on?" Archie asked in a calming voice.

"Listen," Veronica says, "I want to be honest with you."

"Okay, I want to be honest with you too. We should be honest with each other. No secrets, remember?" Archie says and Veronica looks down at her hands that are resting on the table, avoiding eye contact.

"I just don't want to hurt you, Archie. You don't deserve this," Veronica vaguely explains.

"Hey," Archie says and Veronica's eyes meet his once more. "Whatever happened, I'm sure that we can work it out. I know we can."

Veronica laughs, "That's precisely the problem, Archie. I don't want to work it out because in my mind I already have."

"Wait," Archie says, "I'm confused. What have you worked out exactly. What even is the situation in the first place?"

"I— I can't tell you," Veronica stutters.

"Why? Veronica, I tell you everything. Even when I mess up I tell you. Why can't you just tell me what's actually going on for once?" Archie starts to get frustrated from the lack of answers.

"Please don't make me tell you," Veronica says.

"You're the one who invited me here. You obviously had the intention to tell me," Archie raises his voice.

Veronica raises her voice back, "Do you really want to know?"

"Yes, please! I've only been asking for an hour now," Archie says with an eye roll.

"You're exaggerating."

"If you don't tell me within the next 10 seconds I'm leaving," Archie threatens.

"Fine," Veronica says with an attitude.

"Fine," Archie replies as he slams his hands down on the table and stands up.

He only takes a few steps before Veronica blurts out, "I'm in love with Cheryl."

Everyone in the restaurant turns to look at Veronica and Archie stops in his tracks.

"What?" Archie asks.

"I'm— I'm in love with Cheryl. I want to be with Cheryl. Archie, I'm sorry."

Archie walks back over and sits back down across from Veronica. "Veronica, look at me. You love Cheryl?"

Veronica nods. "I'm sorry. I'm really, really sorry," she says as a tear rolls down her cheek.

"Listen," Archie says, "I'm not mad."

"You aren't?" Veronica asks.

Archie forces a smile. "No. Veronica, I love you and I want you to be happy even if it isn't with me. Yeah, it hurts a little but the memories we made and the bond we have created was worth every second."

Veronica smiles. "Thank you, Archie. This is probably really hard for you but I hope we can stay friends. I don't want this to hurt that bond we have built."

Archie smiles, genuinely this time. "We can and we will."

They sit there for a moment in silence.

"Well," Archie says, "What are you waiting for? Go get your girl."

Veronica smiles and stands up. "Again, thank you. You are a blessing, Archie Andrews."

Archie smiles and watches Veronica leave.