38) Veggie

"Hey, Ronnie, Pop needs you upstairs," Reggie calls out across the room as he puts down the phone.

"Okay. Could you do me a favor and finish putting the centerpieces on the tables?" Veronica asks as she makes her way up the stairs.

"On it," Reggie says, as he starts the task that Veronica didn't get a chance to finish.

"What's up, Pop?" Veronica asks, leaning on the counter.

"Someone just dropped off this letter for you and left," Pop says as he hands her an envelope.

Veronica cautiously takes it and examines the messy handwriting scrawled on the back that reads "For Veronica." She opens it up and carefully unfolds the lines piece of paper.

'Dear Veronica,

I have to leave town. Your father wants my blood and I'm not safe in Riverdale. It's not safe for me to be with you. Please don't try to contact me or find me. I'll be okay, I promise. I'm sorry that it has to be this way. I have to go but know that I'll always love you.

-Archie'

Veronica stares blankly at the letter as tears begin to form in her eyes. "Excuse me," she says to Pop as she quickly walks back down into the speakeasy and drops to her knees once she reaches the bottom of the steps, crying her eyes out.

"Veronica," Reggie says worriedly as he rushes over to her and crouches down. "Hey, what happened?" he asks.

Veronica tries to form words but instead just hands him the letter that he quickly scans over.

Instead of saying anything Reggie helps Veronica to her feet and wraps his arms around her and holds her tight as she cries. Reggie places his hand on the back of her head and strokes her raven black hair, calming her down.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Reggie asks.

"No," Veronica replies in a hushed voice.

"Okay. If you change your mind, I'm here. I'll always be here," Reggie assures her.

They stand there for a few minutes as Reggie comforts Veronica.

"Thank you, Reggie," Veronica says, "but I should probably go." She steps away from the hug and wipes away the last of her tears.

"Okay," Reggie says. "If you need anything just call."

"I will," Veronica replies. "You should probably head home too and get some rest. It's getting late."

"I will. See you in school tomorrow."

"See ya," Veronica says and then walks up the stairs.

Reggie finishes cleaning off the counters and putting away some cups and heads home.

He texts Veronica to make sure that she's alright. She's not.

The phone rings a few times. Reggie doesn't even know why he's calling Veronica. He knows that he is calling to check up on her but he doesn't quite know if he's calling more for her or for himself.

Veronica answers the phone. "Hello."

"Hey, I was just calling to make sure that everything is okay," Reggie says.

"I'll be okay, thank you though," Veronica says.

"You probably don't want to but you can talk about it if you want. No pressure," Reggie assures her.

There is a long pause before Veronica starts speaking as if she's thinking about what to say. "I just feel so helpless right now. It feels like nothing but everything at the same time," she explains.