Dear Anonymous

Dear Anonymous,

It's been exactly one year since my dad went to prison and I'm feeling a lot of things, so I thought I'd write a letter about it.

I don't know, I thought in that moment, when he turned his back and actually walked out of the house, I thought, I'm free and he still has some love for his daughter. I know you're gonna disagree, but I can't get over how dumb it was of me to have this hope that...that he was ready to tread the path of recovery. I believed it for so long because he stayed silent for so long. He didn't bother me for months. He didn't come after me at all. So I continued to have this false hope that maybe one day, I'd get my caring, funny and loving father back.

And then Jess came crying to school about her mother's infidelity and I knew, I knew he was back to himself.

I hadn't felt that heartbroken in so long; reality just came crashing down so hard. Dad was never gonna change. He was like this for too long. He didn't have any incentive to change. So he didn't. He went back to his old ways, only I wasn't there to deal with him. I was with mom.

I had my own apartment, but ended up staying with my mom most of the time. Which was probably for the best because it was only some time after that, that dad came to my apartment in a fit of rage. He broke in and ended up trashing the entire place.

That's probably when I came to terms with him not being able to change. I was no longer moping about it, I was, and am, in a better place.

He deserves it you know, he really deserves being in prison. After sexually abusing those two women, his count had become 3. He was finally taken to court and has been in prison since then. One year ago.

One year ago, I also became free. I haven't had to worry about being followed at all. No need to worry about surprises. I'm safe and I'm happy.

Thanks for being with me through all of this. Ah, yep, that's you honking outside right now. Okay I just wanna end this off on a nice note so yay for being happy thanks for all yor support you've been so hepful throug all of tis okay will you stop honking Im coming geez!

Sincerly,
Special Someone