appreciation

A little more idle talk later, she realized she was done with the stitches.

She packed away the first-aid kit and put it on her bedside table.

She then moved herself onto the side of her bed to make room for Adrian to sit.
He came and sat down right next to her.

After a moment of silence, Claire looked at Adrian to see him staring at her wound.

She bit her lip as she hesitantly took his hand in hers and squeezed it. "I'm fine. I'll be fine." She said.

He looked at their hands before looking at her face. "I want you to be more than fine. I want you to be great." He half-whispered.

"I will be." She replied and they both stared into each other's eyes.

Thoughts racing through each of their minds.

Adrian thought about how much he wanted her to be happy, leading to how much she meant to him.

Claire watched as Adrian's gaze flickered to her lips for a split second before meeting her eyes again.

With a spurt of courage, she put her hand on his neck and thumb on his cheek and guided him so her lips were on his other cheek.

She left a lingering kiss and then moved back. "Thank you." She whispered.

"For what?" He asked, breaking out of the daze he was just in.

"Tonight." She said with a big smile. "And everything."

"That's an awful lot." He said, letting out a small laugh.

His breath fanned her face as she still held his face close to hers.

"You're welcome." He replied, a big smile gracing his face.

After sitting and talking for a while, their hands intertwined the whole time, Adrian realized that it was 4 o'clock and thought that it was time to go home.

"I'll show myself out." Adrian said. "Do you have any extra keys?"

"No, I don't. Just use mine, they're where we left them and then throw them under the mat."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, it'll be fine. No worries."

"You're okay here, then?" He asked once more.

"Yeah, don't worry."

"Alright." Adrian said as he swung his legs over her bed. Before leaving, he leaned over to Claire and pulled her towards him to plant a long kiss on her forehead.

Hand still on the side of her face, he smiled at her light pink cheeks. "I'll call you tomorrow." He said and then let go of her.