The Mother

"Honey, why aren't you in school?"

"Reasons." Claire replied curtly.

"And these reasons include this boy?" Diana referred to Adrian who was sitting there, calculating the look on Claire's face.

"Mother, with all due respect, I really don't think that's any of your business." Claire looked away from her mother and kept her gaze on the table in front of her.

"You're my daughter, it is completely my business." Diana kept her eyes on her daughter, not liking the fact that she's skipping school. Claire's fiery stare refocused on her mother.

"Really? Because I don't recall you saying that when you left eight- You know what? I am not having this argument here."

"What? You're going to leave?"

"No mother, you are. After all, leaving is something you're good at doing." Claire said, feeling a bit guilty for saying those harsh words, but she just didn't have it in her to deal with her mother at such a time.

Claire brought her gaze back to the table and waited for the figure she could see from the corner of her eye to disappear. As soon as it did, Claire looked up to see Adrian already staring at her.

Claire gave a sheepish laugh. "So that just happened." Letting out a breath, she shook her head. "I'm sorry about that."

"I'm guessing that has to do something with why you left school?" Adrian asked, bringing his arms up to rest on the table.

"Yeah, it is." She answered. "But I don't wanna talk about that right now. I'm more excited to meet you, so screw that for now."

Adrian laughed. "Alright."

"So we've been talking for a while, but apart from helping you, we don't really know that much about each other."

"So, 20 questions?"

"Without the 20 part."

That made Adrian laugh again. "Okay, you first."