incident

"Hello?"

"Oh...hi. Um, is this Adrian's phone?"

Claire asked, flustered that instead of hearing Adrian's voice, she was hearing a woman's.

"Yes, you're Claire?" The woman asked.

"Um, yes, it's me."

"Oh, finally! I'm Adrian's mother. I've actually been trying to get a hold of you but I didn't know the passcode to Adrian's phone."

"Oh, why? Is everything alright?" Claire asked, getting a bit confused and nervous about the situation. Something didn't feel right.

"No actually, it's not. I wanted to ask if you were alright."

Eyebrows furrowed, Claire replied, "oh, um, i'm...fine."

"I just want— There was an incident last night, when Adrian was coming home. We knew he was with you so we wanted to make sure you were safe as well, but we didn't have any information on you apart from your name."

"What was the incident?" She asked, her heart beating faster; she began to feel scared.

"Adrian...he got into a fight and," her voice broke at the last word and Claire felt her heart shake a little at all the possibilities of what his mom's next words were going to be, "he got stabbed by a knife. He's been in the hospital ever since, in surgery."

"Oh my God." She whispered, her hand flying to her mouth. "Is he okay?" She asked, bringing her shaking hand to her side.

"As of now, it's not life threatening. The knife got him in his abdomen which was really worrying, but the surgery is done. They just let us know that he's stable because the knife didn't get anything too significant."

"Oh," was all she could say. She didn't know how to respond and the phone, on both ends, remained silent for a moment.

"Sweetie, are you there?" His mother said with such emotion.

"Y-yes, I am. Um, thank you for letting me know, Mrs. Lackner."

"I'm glad you're alright."

After giving a slight smile, Claire shook her head as she realized she was on the phone. "Bye, Mrs. Lackner."

"Bye, sweetie."