deal

"Seems like every time you're with me, you have to witness a super ugly situation." Claire said to Adrian, going back and forth between caring that he's seen a lot and not caring.

"I don't—I don't want to question much, but I'll just let you know that I'm really curious...and worried."

"Yeah."

"And I've been worried since yesterday, the day I formally met you. I followed you out because I saw you arguing with your friends."

"Yeah."

"And even before that, you didn't answer to any of my letters."

Instead of answering, Claire nodded her head.

"And I'm guessing that this all ties down to your dad." Adrian finished off, saying the word 'dad' a little tentatively.

"Yeah." She said, resorting to her one-worded response.

"You know, this whole advice thing doesn't have to be one-sided."

Claire thought about what Adrian just said as she finished zipping up her bag. "But, I have a strange feeling that if I tell you about everything, you'll start keeping to yourself again." She stated as she slung her back around her shoulders. "What if you think that 'Oh, she has too much trouble already. I don't wanna bother her with more'?"

Adrian halted in his tracks as he thought of a solution. "You're right about that." He knew that he wouldn't be able to burden someone while knowing they had so many problems of their own. "How about we make a promise to one another?"

"A promise?"

"Yeah. A promise that no matter what it is, if one of us has something to share, you go ahead. No matter any circumstance."

Claire thought about that. That would mean that Adrian wouldn't stop telling her all the things he's been telling her even with him knowing about her problems. "Do you think we're trying too hard?"

"For what?"

"I don't know. But shouldn't a friendship be more...like...natural?" She asked and realized how that sounded a little belittling towards their friendship. "No, not like that. I mean that we're making deals to make us share our life stories. Shouldn't it be when you're comfortable?"

"I don't think comfort is the problem here. Are you comfortable with sharing your story with me?"

"Yeah." Claire answered with no hesitance. She learned all about him, and knew that he is never quick to judge. She realized that she felt comfortable with him enough to tell him everything.

"So comfort isn't the problem." He answered and elbowed her, a wide smirk plastered on his face. "The problem is that we're too considerate towards the other."

Claire let out a laugh. "Oh, we're so cheesy, we belong in a chick-flick."
Adrian had a small smile on his face as he stuck out his hand. "So, deal?"

"What? No spit? No blood?" Claire asked, jokingly inspecting Adrian's hand.

"I think one genre of movie is enough, we don't need to add any medieval crap into our friendship."

"That's medieval?" Claire asked with a curious face.

He scrunched up his eyebrows and thought about it. After a few moments, he gave up and let out a sigh. "I don't really know. Let's just roll with it." He said and gestured to his hand that was stuck out.

Claire laughed at his confused face, then put on a smile. "Deal."