A bad turn of events

P.O.V: Ajax

I ran with Iris's limp body in my arms, into the rundown mall and Emmett spots me, then sees Iris not moving. Her face was pale white like a ghost. He stops talking to a girl about his age and runs over to me.

"The infection?" He asks, his voice filled with concern and worry. I nod.

"Follow me."

He leads me to an actual bed and I gingerly lay Iris down. Kids begin to file into the room and examine her bullet wound. I pull a chair up next to the bed and hold her cold hand. Why are they so cold? All the color had drained from her face. Not a good sign at all. I glance at the kids who looked about seventeen helplessly. One of the kids glanced at me then at Emmett. He nods. The kid places a wet rag on Iris's pale forehead and starts applying medicine to her wound.

A girl places a hand on my shoulder, snapping me from my gaze on Iris's face. "Don't worry. She will be okay." Even though her words were supposed to bring comfort, I could hear doubt deep in her voice and even in her mind.

"You can go the the room with the grey door to get something to eat and drink whenever you want." Emmett says. His voice isn't full of it's usual malice towards me. His eyes don't even flick to my face, but stays on her face. I can't help but feel a little protective.

"Thank you." I tell him, trying not to let my jealousy take over or show.

"She saved my life. The least I could do was return the favor." He gives her one last look before leaving to who knows where.

The kids work around me, pretending I'm not even here. I'm pretending there not here either. Just me and Iris. I kiss her cold hand and look at her face. After about ten minutes, I squeeze her hand and begin to let go. I felt movement.

"Hey, Fish boy." Iris says weakly. Her voice didn't sound like her own. My heart broke a little.

A little girl ran out of the room when Iris woke up. I ignored this and just smiled at Iris.

"Hey Flame girl." I say.

"Thought you were about to leave so I let you know I was awake."

Of course she was awake. I give her a lopsided grin and hug her. She hugs back, but weakly. God, she's so frail. Nothing like the Iris I've come to know.

"Well, look who's awake." Emmett had just walked in.

"Yep, I'm awake." She tells him.

He gives her a warm smile I never knew he had. It was the very first time I've ever seen him smile.

"The kids told me you were awake." He says, a little concern in his voice.

"Thank you. Can you tell the kids thank you for me?" She asks. Always kind to the kids, I think.

Emmett nods and says, "Well, you should get some rest, okay? We all know you will be back on your feet in no time."

Iris nods and I follow Emmett out.

"Hey, Ajax?" Iris calls.

I turn back around and walk to her. "Yeah?"

"Can you hand me my back pack?" She asks and I nod, handing her the little bag. She takes it in her small hands then grabs my hand, pulls me down, and kisses me on the cheek.

"What was that for?" I ask dumbly.

She smiles sweetly. "Everything."

I smirk and actually kiss her.

"And that?" She asks, a grin on her still pale face.

"Trusting me after everything I am."

She blushes a little and it's adorable. I tell her to get some rest and walk out. Emmett was waiting for me. A little hatred thrown at me, but glancing inside, his face softens. Wow. Major difference.