Chapter 38: Suspicions or Surprises

Почніть із самого початку

"It's been snowing all day, it's not that much of a surprise," I said, and my mom looked up and smiled.

"Leen, great to see you, sweetie," my mom said.

"Yeah, you too, mom, how was the mall?"

"Good," she said. "You two decorated everything?" Mom asked as she looked around.

I shook my head, "Well, not everything. We were waiting till you got home to decorate the tree together." I smiled.

Mom smiled as she hugged me, placing her things down and walked over to the living room where the tree was, "Surprise!" Dad said as he jumped out from behind the tree and launched sparkly glitter everywhere.

"Chuck," my mom laughed.

"I've been planning this for like an hour with Leen," he laughed.

"Now there's glitter all over the floor."

"That's why we got tile," I heard as Kale jumped out from the corner of the sofa by the tree, throwing more confetti at mom, some of it hit me.

"That's why we have vacuums," Wendy said as she took it out from hiding in the coat closet.

"What a surprise it is." She smiled, hugging my brother and sister-in-law. "I thought you two weren't going to be here until this weekend right before Christmas."

"Well, we did, but since Wendy finished the teaching semester over in New York, we decided to come early, a little surprise. Don't worry, you're not the only one surprised, we took a taxi and showed up at the doorstep, and those two were in utter shock." Kale laughed.

We finished decorating the tree with the entire family before sitting down for dinner.

"So, Jayleen," Kale smiled at me. I looked and waited for him to continue, "Anything new? You have one more semester left."

"Nothing new, just college. Um, you remember Megan right?" I asked, Kale nodded, and Wendy's head snapped up at me, I ignored it and continued. "Yeah, she's going to be moving the weekend after New Years, she's driving down there, and she invited me to tag along because she needs company."

"Wow, now? That girl has been through thick and thin with you for seventeen years when you both met each other in kindergarten," he stated.

"Yeah, I know. So I might be gone for about a week maybe."

He nodded, "Any new girls you haven't told us about?"

I shook my head, "Nope, nothing's going on." Wendy gave me a suspicious look. I mouthed the words 'later' to her, and we finished eating as we talked about their lives in New York.

~~~<>~~~<>~~~<>~~~

Once dinner finished, Wendy smiled at me, and we told everyone we're going to go catch up in my old room, which is now a guest room. She closed the door and sat down next to me, "How are you and Kassidy?"

I just shook my head, "When she came back, we just talked about everything, we want to get back together, but there isn't the right time. She also didn't want to risk much from her job. We've bent the rules a couple of times at either her house or my apartment. We haven't slept together ever since. Megan is my best friend, she invited me to keep her company during the trip, and I want the chance to say goodbye to her. I had to tell Kassidy, I know we aren't officially a thing, it's just nice that I got to talk to her about it, rather than not saying anything and wait till she brings up some trip she planned for us, then I would have to turn it down because of Megan. Then she might get the wrong idea. Like this is some messed up love-triangle." I sighed, running my hand through my hair and plopped down on the mattress.