Leaving Camp & Emma's Highlights

And then my heart pounds. "Fleur?"

"Yeah?"

"WE ARE THE FINAL TWO."

"And guess what else?" She grins like a Cheshire Cat. "IT'S GOING TO BE A JUNGLE QUEEN."

*****

Emma P.O.V

"I can't believe how big camp looks now."

Since John left maybe twenty minutes ago, Fleur and I have been taking all of the cooking equipment and old campmates belongings up to the telegraph. All that lays in camp now are six hammocks tied up between wooden posts, and five beds propped up parallel to the fire.

"Do you want to do it?"

Fleur fills up a metal bucket that we usually use for water collection. "You can if you want?"

Fleur hands me the heavy metal bucket. "You ready?"

"Yeah." I nod. "To the jungle."

With one swift movement of my arms, I tip the bucket of water over the roaring campfire, signalling the end of our camp residency. Smoke gashes up into the blue sky and dissipates like a large firework. "It's been fun, jungle."

After a few more minutes of checking we have everything we need, a ranger plods down the camp pathway. "It's time, girls. Grab your things and make your way to the studio."

My frizzy best friend and I sling our backpacks on. "I can't believe this is it."

"I know."

When I first applied to do the show, I never thought I'd make it through the exhausting three weeks. "But we've done it."

Each green leaf that hangs onto the maroon tree branches is the frame - the dirt forms the interior of the cage we've been living in. Every twig, every stick, every log and bed and creek, I've remembered the exact location of.

"Come on, hun. Let's get going."

Fleur and I start to walk the unfamiliar path to the studio that hangs in the sky. I turn back to glimpse one final look on our second home. "Bye, jungle!" I salute.

Fleur and I then get trekking. We pass the creek, the dunny and the telegraph to an area that was previously out of bounds. "It seems so weird to go up this pathway." Fleur chuckles once we step foot on the start of a metal bridge that climbs up above the treetops.

Since we have such unnutritious food all the time, just climbing to the high altitude strains my muscles. But as if in a heartbeat, we are crossing the bridge over the shower spot where we would usually wave goodbye to previous campmates. However, no one is stood there to wave us goodbye.

"The both lasted 23 days in the jungle. One of them dressed as Santa Claus and caught flying presents, drank blended sheep's testicles in the Live Trial and taught the entire camp how to dance. The other swam in a tank full of eels and crabs, crawled through tunnels of cockroaches and green ants, and stole the heart of a certain boy band member. It's your final two! Fleur and Emma everyone!"

The wooden hut is all decked out so nicely, with red ribbons hanging from the wooden supports and varnished wooden furniture. "Oh my gosh, people!" I gasp. "This place is so Pinterest!"

"Welcome!" Holly comes and hugs me, and then Dec. "Come on you two, come and take a seat."

"There is champagne there for you both," I grab hold of my best friends hand, walk over to a bench beside a seventy inch TV, and take a seat beside her. "Now we are going to start with you, Emma. Let's take a look at some of your jungle highlights."