Care Packages & The First Kiss

We all cross over the bridge, and as the clearing comes closer and closer, my nerves start to build up.

But this is for everyone in camp. I have to give this my all.

*****

Emma P.O.V

"Welcome back gladiators! Please stand on your podium - Emma and Malique, please come and join me."

Malique and I stand beside Dec and Holly, whilst Noel and his Inner Circle make their way to the top of the Colosseum. "So, Malique and Emma, you two are facing the trial today. How are you feeling about it?"

"A bit apprehensive, but I'm feeling ok." I flood out my feelings.

"Well, we have a bit of a surprise. You two won't be the only people doing the trial today."

Holly and Dec turn around to face James, Nick, Anne, Emily and John, who's expressions are all ones of shock horror. "The Emperor and his Inner Circle will now pick two gladiators to face Emma and Malique. The winning pair will join the Inner Circle."

The Emperor is asked to deliberate, and he and his Inner Circle decide to put Emily and John against Malique and I. Two of my best friends - how lovely of him.

"Well, then John, Emily, Malique and Emma, this ... is Drown and Out."

Holly and Dec point towards two adjacent rectangular tanks. Up the walls of the tanks are some levers, and at the top are some taps.

"Now, in your pair, you will use the keys at the bottom of the tank to unlock the padlocks on the levers. When you manage to unlock a pair of padlocks, pull the coloured lever down, and that coloured tap will start to fill the opposing tank. For example, if the yellow lever in the right-hand tank is pulled, water will start to fill through the yellow tap in the left-hand tank."

"But of course, you won't be alone in there, and most of the keys at the bottom of the tank are dummy keys. The first team to flood out their opponents wins the challenge and a place in the Inner Circle."

Malique and I are guided into position after confirming we want to do the challenge. I give John and Emily a hug, before I climb down the metal ladder into my water tank.

Once Malique and I are both in the tank, Holly announces, "You will start on the klaxon."

There are four seconds before the clackson rings, and as soon as it does, water begins to rush in from circular cavities in the wall.

Malique and I scoop up all the keys chucked across the floor and throw them in our pouches, therefore when we've used a key, we can just drop it back in the water.

I pull out maybe 4 or 5 keys from my pouch and begin to try the padlocks on the bottom black lever. None of them seem to work, and therefore I move up to the pink lever, and try all the keys, managing to tug one padlock off.

"Well done Emma, that's the first padlock."

After I've tried those five keys, I grab another handful from my pouch and try the same again, managing to unlock one padlock on the black lever too.

As the water reaches knee level, the biggest water python I've ever laid eyes on swirls around my feet. My adrenaline picks up, rushing through my blood vessels. "Keep focused Em," Malique shouts to me whilst climbing down the ladder. "Try your keys on the top levers."