Jealousy & Floods Of Tears

I laugh at her embarrassment but take the offer. She rolls onto her side, and I lay behind her as if she were the little spoon. My bare chest lays against her bare skin, and her heartbeat vibrates through my skin.

I wrap an arm around her middle and pull her hips into mine, caressing the skin on her stomach until we both fall asleep.

*****

Emma P.O.V

When I wake up, James has disappeared. The sky is a lot darker now, where it's on the brink of ink-black.

Fleur walks back into the camp from a shower. Her hair is soaked, and she's wrapped in my burgundy towel. "Hey," she notices that I'm awake and skips over. "Nice nap?"

"It was." I yawn. "How did the challenge go?"

I study the scoreboard at the top of the camp. Roos are positioned second from the top with 2 points, before the Underdogs and above the Galahs and the Koalas.

As the potent smell of rice and beans floods from the pan, Fleur and Noel describe their immunity challenge. They had to stand on a podium and hold two gymnastic rings, keeping them pulled down and the strings taught. "We got absolutely drenched." Anne laughs. "It was awful."

"So where did James go?" I ask.

"Him, Emily, John and Mal went off to do their immunity challenge. They'll be back any second. It was called ... oh I can't remember. Something to do with boats."

As there is no camp leader during these games, I help Fleur and Sair collect wood as the fire is becoming dim. After that, we all gather around and await the return of our campmates.

As I'm talking to Fleur about Mal, he and James pop around the corner. "You're back!" I beam. "How did it go?"

"It was good." Emily sings. "We had to fill these cylinders with water to keep this flag above a red line."

"I went out first." John holds his hands up, meaning the Underdogs are stuck on three points.

"I came third," Mal announces, meaning the Galah's are stuck with two points.

"...Emily won." James smiles. "But ... with four points ... the Roos are eating tonight!"

Thank goodness! If I even see one more grain of rice, I'm going to vomit.

My two best friends and I grab our drinks, wave goodbye to Crock Creek and head to Snake Rock for what hopes to be a fabulous dinner.

Malique P.O.V

"I've been meaning to talk to you," Emily comes and sits beside me. "How are you doing, Mal?"

"Fine." I shrug. It's not true though. My thoughts have been with Fleur all evening, and how weird it is to eat dinner without her.

"Ok. Well, I wanted to ask you something."

There's a pause.

"Mal," she holds her hands together like she has a pondering question.

"...When we get on the outside ... did you want to maybe ... go out together? Like a date?"

I almost spit out my rice.

"...Um...Emily, listen..."

"It's fine. I get it." She shakes her head. "You like Fleur."

I pause.

Do I admit it?

"I just thought that you'd want to make her jealous." She shrugs. "You know the saying. 'Being mean keeps em keen'."