The Quest Across The Outback

John beats a rhythm on his knees, rilling up his excitement. James wraps his arm around my shoulder and pulls my head into his chest.

"Like a first date," he whispers ever so quietly so no one else can hear.

*****

The next morning ...

Emma P.O.V

"Emma? Emma! Wake up!"

I'm shaken awake again, but this time not by James, but by John. He frantically shakes my leg nowhere near as gently as James does it. "Get up! We have to leave for the challenge soon!"

I roll out from inside the hammock and onto the Australian floor. "How long do I have?"

"About 10 minutes. James has packed your bag for you so you just need to freshen up, get ready and eat breakfast."

While Sair is whipping up my rice and beans, I brush my teeth, wash my face and sort out my stinky armpits with water and terrible quality soap. I then sprint back to camp, wolf down my breakfast and throw on my backpack.

"In there is your coat, hat and two water bottles," James tells me. "Oh, and good morning beautiful."

He hugs me into his chest. "We have to smash this today."

As my head is laid on his chest, I hear his stomach roar. "We sure do!" I guffaw. "Your stomach is so loud!"

Once we're all ready, all of us campmates leave camp. We push through bushes and brambles until we reach a fork in the path.

"Challenge <-
Live trial ->"

"This is it then," Fleur hugs me, ready to take the right-hand path. "Come back with 11 stars, yeah?"

"Only if you smash the trial?" I tease, letting her go. Behind her, Malique calls her name so they can walk to the clearing together.

I like those two. They'd make a good couple.

"You ready?" James taps my shoulder. "Come on Em, let's go earn ourselves some food."

John, James and I push through brambles and thorns, down the hardly carved out path all the way to a small field. Sat on top of the field is a colossal chopper.

"The helicopter is back!" I squeal, running up to it like an excited school girl.

When I climb in, it brings back so many memories of when we all first entered the jungle, having no idea to expect. I remember that I was sat with James, John and Sair, frequently deliberating what was going to happen in our first day.

The chopper rises from the ground and soars through the baby-blue sky. The weather is incredible; we got very lucky with it.

"I'm so excited!" John sings, looking out of the window. "I have no idea where we are."

"They're trying to disorientate us," James adds as the helicopter spins, rises and descends.

The helicopter lands on a lime-green plane of grass, nothing different to where we took off from. However, outside of the window is a big wooden crate.

"Open it up," I tell James once we've all jumped out of the chopper. It's chilly out, so as James opens the crate, I throw my coat on.

"John, James and Emma. Here is all of the equipment you will need. Follow the GPS to the starting line. You will start on the sound of the klaxon."

Amongst the crate is a harness, life jacket, helmet and a torch. Looks like we're in for a very active day.

John takes charge of the GPS as I have the directional skills of a slug. He switches the device on, and loads of red and purple lights come up on the screen.