'I Loved You From The Very Beginning'

"Hi," I jump over to her. "You must be Sophie? James' sister?"

"Um," she takes me into a light embrace but jumps back a bit too suddenly for my comfort. "No."

"My name is Kirstie."

"Yeah ..." James drags. His jaw clenches, gaze diverting to the ground. "This is Kirstie ... she's my ex-girlfriend."

*****

The start of this chapter is James' P.O.V when he saw Kirstie.

James P.O.V

"See you later, Hazza," I wave my OAP goodbye. Why I've been summoned to the water collection point by the creek, I don't know. Maybe for a surprise, or phone calls from home?

I trail down the humongous hill, take a few whisks through brambles and thorns to the ever so familiar creek.

Sat perched on a rock, dressed in blue denim shorts and a tank top, sits another thing that is ever so familiar to me - not in a good way.

"Hi,". Even the tone of her soft voice causes memory after memory to come flooding back. "I bet you didn't expect to see me."

My whole body tingles. "Hi, Kirstie."

My ex-girlfriend.

"Why are you here? Isn't my sister supposed to be here instead?"

"Yeah," she bites her lip subtly. "About that ... I begged the producers to reconsider - I flew out to Australia to see how you were... I told them I was your girlfriend. How are you keeping?"

"...Why?" I panic, sitting on a rock a fair distance away. I divert away from her question - she's the type of person that would walk over me like a carpet. "We broke up ... remember?"

Her eyes glint in hope. "Only a few weeks before you came in here. Besides..."

"Besides what?"

"... I," her voice cracks. She pushes herself up from the rock she's sat on, stands, walks closer to me, and sits back down again. "I miss you."

Oh shit. Her fingers begin to creep onto the skin of my bare knees. I swat them away like a fly.

"Well ... I have a girlfriend now."

"But do you?" She frowns. "James. You've known each other for three weeks! All you do is mess around with each other! We were together for four years!"

"But we broke up!" My voice begins to rise. Rage builds like deep water currents. "Because you cheated on me with Tristan!"

There's silence. Every inch of her remains in stone - the smug and devious look doesn't suit her. "I..."

Silence, again.

And then my ex leans into my body, throwing her lips onto mine carelessly and hurriedly. The only contact is a slight rush of breath and a bite of my lip in hers.

"Kirstie!" I launch myself backwards in a heartbeat, almost falling back into the water but managing to catch myself on a rock. "Why did you kiss me?"

She throws a pigtail over her shoulder. "I want you back, my pup."

"I'm with Emma now, Kirstie. Get your head around that! I'm not your pup anymore! Oh ... F*ck! What am I supposed to tell Emma?"

Her body seems to pour out with a sudden anger, unleashed without thought of consequence. "Why are you such an idiot! You tell her that you want to be with me, or I'll break you two up myself."