Two Camps Become One

As we're about to step into the ink-black cave, I slip my goggles on and grab James' arm.

"I'm so nervous." I shake.

He spins on his feet and hugs me into his chest immediately.

"It's ok Em. I'll look after you."

*****

Emma P.O.V

Fleur, James and I walk hand in hand into the inexplicable cavern. The light mists into darkness, and we have to feel around the walls to find our way.

"Oh no," Fleur dreads, finding the trial.

We emerge into an open space. There's a little dugout rectangle on the floor where I'm guessing we have to lay down - it looks like a three-person coffin. In the four corners of the pit are four gems locked in four different translucent boxes.

We all step down into the pit. I decide to lay in the middle, with my head at one end. James lies on my left, and Fleur on my right, with their feet beside my head.

I spot tiny holes in the sides of the pit - we aren't going to be alone. A large clang of metal echoes off the walls when a massive metal mesh starts to cover us up, trapping us in the pit like we're in a prison cell.

"It's ok guys. We've got this." I try to convince myself whilst my legs shake in nervousness.

The clackson sounds. "Anne! What do you have?"

Her voice is muffled from outside, but her words can still be decoded. "The briefcase is full of keys tied up on a string." She bellows. "What colour do you need?"

"Yellow!" Fleur belts back. The yellow box is the closest to her head, and most likely the easiest one to unlock.

As Anne begins to do whatever she has to do outside the cave, my back starts to become sodden. The box begins to fill with water, but it isn't regular water. It stinks.

"Oh my god, it smells of poop!" I scream. "For fudge sake!"

The cave falls quiet for a few seconds, as we're all studying the ropes that are wrapped around the metal mesh above us.

"Oh crap!" James jumps and his feet almost kick me in the head. "It's frogs."

A croaking noise echoes down my ear drum as three or four congregate around my head. "They smell so bad!"

When Anne finally manages to post the first key down the rope, Fleur grabs it, twists it around and uses it to unlock the padlock on the yellow translucent box.

"Got it!" She smiles, grabbing the glowing green gem and shoving it in her pouch. "Emma, what coloured boxes are by your head?"

To my left, "a red box," and to my right, "and a blue one."

It only takes ten seconds for the next key to be fed down the rope. Fleur grabs it in her hand and weaves it around the mesh. As soon as it's in touching distance, I grab the red key and jiggle it up and down, through the loops in the rope.

"There's a frog on top of the box!" I shriek as I'm just about to grab the gem. "What do I do!"

"Move it!" Fleur cries as one of the toads jump onto her neck.