Understanding

Chapter 1: Understanding

Disclaimer: I don't anything; belongs to TVD.
———————————————

"Elena? Jeremy?" Caroline calls as she walks into the Gilbert house. Strange, she thought, why was the door left unlocked when no one was home?

"Hello, is anybody home?" Caroline calls as she walks into the house. Where did they go she wondered as she walked down the hallway into the kitchen. She took in a sharp breath. Everything was trashed; there were pieces of broken cabinets everywhere. Now she was scared, what could have happened to her best friend?

"Elena?" Caroline called freaking out as she walked past the kitchen table and found pile of ashes. She bent down to take a closer look.

"Oh my gosh! Elena?" Caroline said as she frantically looked around. Then she heard footsteps.

"Don't worry love, nothing happened to Elena." Klaus said as he walked closer to the kitchen knowing he couldn't leave the living room thanks to that wretched witch.

"Klaus? What did you do?" Caroline said angrily starting to walk towards him.

"Caroline, please stay where you are and I didn't do anything." Klaus said trying to stop her from coming through the barrier. He wasn't sure whether it was a two way or a one way barrier. He didn't want her to become trapped like him even though his inner wolf craved the idea of her being stuck with him there.

"What do you mean?" Caroline zoomed in front of him in vampire speed before he could even say anything else. Who was he to tell her where to go?

"We can't get out." Klaus said as he lied back down on to the couch with a smile on his face.

"What?" She was confused. What was he talking about? Caroline walked towards the kitchen again and crashed into an invisible barrier. "What the hell?" She banged on the invisible wall in front of her.

"That is what I meant. Why can't you just do what you're told sweetheart." Klaus said closing his eyes.

"What's going on? Why are you trapped here? And what did you do to Elena?" Caroline yelled. She was going to kill him if he did anything to hurt the people she cared about. Where was everyone and what happened? Her mind swam with all sorts of possibilities.

"Nothing, she's still alive but not for long. I'm going to kill her once I get out of here as well as that witch friend of yours." Klaus said keeping his eyes closed.

Caroline sat down on the single sofa in front of him. If Elena was okay as well as Bonnie, what about those ashes in the kitchen? Oh my gosh! "Stefan!" Caroline said out loud.

Klaus snapped up and came right up to her. Caroline remained sitting on the sofa and leaned further back as possible as Klaus's face came closer. There were many things she saw in his eyes; anger, frustration, loneliness and most of all pain.

"All those pathetic friends of yours are still alive. Those ashes in the kitchen belong to my brother, Kol." His voice shook, "Who was killed by Elena and that Hunter brother of hers. And that witch trapped me here." Klaus said angrily. She could feel his breath on her lips and she had to fight the urge to move in closer. He stayed there for a moment staring into her deep green eyes.

She looked back into his blue eyes. He was hurt and grieving for his brother. No matter how tough he showed he was on the outside and how he hated his siblings. He still loved them, they were still a family. Stefan was right, they had all done horrible things and Klaus was no different than any of them.

Klaus went back to the sofa and lied down closing his eyes.

"I'm sorry for your loss." Caroline said after a while. She was truly sorry that he was hurt. Klaus didn't say anything. Caroline continued looking at him. He looked so calm just lying there with his eyes closed. Who knew what kind of new storm was just beginning within him. He must have gone through so much in his thousand years, she thought, and that's what made him what he is today.