Chapter 1: Signing in the Rain, (and yes I do mean signing).

Hey! Sorry, another little announcement. So in this story, Pidge is Deaf. The 'D' is capital because she signs and is part of the Deaf community. If it wasn't capital, which is the clinical definition, she might have practice oralism or trying to talk, lip read, get treatment, and not sign. She is also pre-lingually deaf, so she cannot actually talk as she went deaf before language. Keith is a CODA or the Child Of Deaf Adults, so he can hear and is part of the Deaf community. If something is in all caps, it means that was signed in ASL, American Sign Language, I am sparing you the written form of ASL. This is also a highschool Au. Thank you, enjoy!

Keith sat down in his seat in his English teacher's room. He was alone, per the norm, but the class was bustling with excitement. "I hear that there is going to be a new girl in our class today, and she is bringing someone with her," "I heard that she is so shy she needs her Mom with her," "I bet she is really spoiled,"

The bell rang and everyone got to their seats. Mrs. Reed, his English teacher, stood up at the front of the room, waiting for the bell to stop ringing. "Okay, class. As you might have heard we are getting a new student today,"

A young girl walking into the room a very professional woman behind her, the women standing near the girl. 

"If you would introduce yourself to the class," Mrs. Reed said. Pidge looked confused and she looked at the women. The women then moved her hands like crazy and the girl seemed to understand. Then the girl signed to the women.

"I am Katie Holt," the women said. 

"I asked the girl," Mrs. Reed said. The women signed to the girl again. The girl rolled her eyes and signed to the women. Keith knew sign and could tell that she was Deaf, so he just read her signs. DO YOU KNOW ASL? NO, BUT THat IS MY LANGUAGE SO I BROUGHT AN INTERPRETER FOR YOU SO THAT YOU CAN COMMUNICATE WITH ME. 

Before the women could interpret, Keith quickly brought his fist to his mouth, trying to contain his laughter but failing.

"Is something funny, Mr. Kogan?!" Mrs. Reed asked harshly.

"N-No Mrs. Reed," Keith replied still laughing a little, the girl was utterly confused.

"No No, do tell us what is so funny that you would interrupt class for it," Mrs. Reed said in that sarcastic and yet serious manner that only teachers can master.

"The new girl...just...just roasted you, ma'am," Keith breathed.

"Excuse me? She has said a word," Mrs. Reed said confused.

"Of course not," Keith said as if his teacher was daft, "She is Deaf, she uses AMERICAN SIGN LANGUAGE," Keith actually used sign language on that last part. The girl's eyes widened as she saw his signs.

"Oh, if you are so clever Mr. Kogan. Then what, pray tell, is her name?" Mrs. Reed said. Keith looked at the girl.

"WHAT IS YOUR NAME?" Keith signed.

"K-A-T-I-E H-O-L-T. YOURS?" the girl spelled.

"K-E-I-T-H K-O-G-A-N. WELCOME TO SCHOOL," Keith signed. He looked back at his teacher who was dumbfounded. "Her name is Katie Holt Mrs. Reed," (He is signing while he talks from now on, but also talking so I didn't put it in all caps,)

"H-How,"

"I am a CODA, my parents are Deaf," Keith said. "That woman would be her interpreter, and as Katie put it before, you don't know ASL, so the interpreter is for you," Keith said. Mrs. Reed ignored him for the rest of the day. Pidge was ushered to her seat. She found him at lunch and they became fast friends after that, Pidge's feelings for him starting to grow overtime.