Chapter 2: Pre-Kerberos

It was the end of the day for the Garrison Cadets and Shiro walked into the pilot cadets training room. Almost all of the cadets had left, all but one. 

"Keith, you ready?" Shiro called, looking at the boy training.

"Yeah," Keith sighed, putting the simulation away. The boy walked over to Shiro and they walked out. "Why am I doing this again?"

"Because of the Holts inviting me and a friend. This will be good for you, the Holts are the best engineers in the world," Shiro explained.

"Wait, isn't the exit that way?" Keith asked as they rounded a corner.

"Yes, we are picking up the youngest Holt who is around your age actually. Her name is Katie,"

"Katie!"Keith exclaimed.

"Yeah, why? Do you know her?" Shiro asked confused.

"Everyone knows her. She is the prick who thinks she is better than everyone else because she invented and built the Red-Leader," Keith said. This was not good. He didn't want to be seen with her. 

"A prick? Funny, she's never acted like a prick," Shiro mused.

"She's a teacher's pet. You're a teacher. Of course, she never acts like a prick to you," Keith said.

"I don't think that's it," Shiro said. "Here we are! She was called down the 'garage' during one of her classes. Apparently, there was a malfunction in one of the jets and they need someone small and who knew what they were doing," Shiro said. Keith coughed and it strangely sounded like 'teacher's pet,' They walked in to see Iverson and a few top engineers at the base of a huge jet, all looking up where a small section of the plane was open.

"Afternoon Commander," Shiro said, he and Keith saluting Iverson.

"Afternoon Shiro, Kogane," Iverson said. "What can I do for you?"

"I am picking Miss Holt up," Shiro said.

"Ah, well, it might take a minute," Iverson said looking back up at the hole. "One of plane failed and we can't figure out--"

"Got it!" Katie said from the entrance of the hole. She jumped and caught the wing of the plane, and walked down it and dropped to the ground. "I just had to replace the starter,"

"Miss Holt, you are a miracle worker," One of the engineers said.

"Thank you, and it really was no problem. Honestly, I had fun!" Katie smiled. Keith looked at her. She was small, her long hair tucked up in a messy bun. Wait, nevermind, it wasn't a bun, it was just a mess. She had a green t-shirt and orange overalls, and a tool belt around her waist.

"You ready Katie?" Shiro asked. She jumped not realizing that they were there. 

"Yeah, sorry I didn't see you there," Katie said.

"No problem, see you, Commander," Shiro said, and three saluted Iverson and walked out of the room. Katie didn't seem like a prick or anything, but Keith was not convinced. "So, you've made it to the big leagues," Shiro said to Katie. Keith knew Katie was going to brag about it.

"Yeah, right. The only reason I was called in was that I am a Holt and I am the only one in my entire class that actually cares about what I do," Katie said. "The other kids just goof around," Keith was surprised. Shiro gave him the I told you so look.

"It wasn't just that Katie. You are smart and you worked hard to get there,"

"Still, being a Holt was the main reason. It also could have been that my dad told him that I studied the planes and memorized most of it," Katie said. "I still have no clue how people fly them though,"

"That's the easy part though," Keith said under his breath. Shiro shot him a glare. They stepped out of the building and the sea of students parted for Shiro. Katie could feel all of the hateful glances and she stepped closer to Shiro. 

An especially mean pack of girls gave her the death notice look, and Katie looked down at her feet.

Shiro watched as Katie squirmed, all eyes on her. Clearly, she knew something he didn't. He'd have to ask her about that later.

The three got into Shiro's car and they fell silent. Katie and Keith leaned on their respective windows, each not wanting to even talk. Shiro sighed. What was going on!