33 He Left

•Ryder's POV•

I walk away from Delilah, not looking back. How could she say that? I know it's true but still...how could she just compare me to the scum on the streets? The ones that kill, fuck, rape whom ever they want? Is that how she sees me? Am I so terrible that my angel sees me the same as everyone else?

         I drive home with these thoughts swirling inside my head. Did she really see me that way? I probably should focus more on the road and not what Delilah thinks about me.

When I get home, I start throwing clothes and whatnot into one of my suitcases. Yes, I'm leaving again. Today made me realize that Delilah and I need space. She thinks that I'm like everyone else on the street. But she has no idea. She won't let me protect her. I want to. I need to. But I need to go and figure out how to do that. I need to get help with my anger issuers. My controlling issues. Delilah and I can't be together unless, I get those fixed. Plus maybe, she'll be a little more understanding when I come back. Maybe not. But it's worth a shot.

"Book me a flight." I say into my phone as I zip my suitcase.

"Where to, boss?" Free asks.

        "Houston." I respond. I can't go to Miami. I can't go to Los Angeles. Too many bad memories at both. Plus I need the city life. I switch my I.Ds to my I.Ds from L.A.

         I walk to my desk and start writing a note to Delilah. Hopefully she'll understand. I know I'll be back. This isn't like last time. I know I'm coming back. I just don't know when.

        Dear Delilah,

        I'm sorry for this. I hope you understand. I'm leaving because it's obvious that we need to spend time apart. You need to work on understanding and I need to work on my controlling issues as well as my anger issues.

        This isn't goodbye. I promise. I'll be back. I just don't know when. Just remember I'll always come back for my angel. My one and only. My light in the darkness. One day I'll ask you to marry me but right now, we need to figure things out.

        I hope you understand. I love you. I'll be back, I promise. Stay safe.

                         ~Love Ryder

        Looks good. I fold it and write her name on  the top. I leave it on her side of the bed and take one last look around. I'm going to miss this. But I have to go. I'll be back. I just hope Delilah and everyone else stays safe when I'm gone. I grab my suitcase, my phone, earbuds, my sunglasses and my keys. I walk to my garage and get into my black Mercedes that my angel loves. I drive to the airport.

                             ••••••••

       "Hey, Ryder." Fred says as I walk up to him. I take off my sunglasses and put them in my pocket.

"Hey. Is my flight ready?" I ask and he nods his head. I walk to the plane, not looking back. I'll be back. Then why does it feel like I'm leaving something behind? That I'm never coming back? That this is a bad idea? No, I'm just being paranoid. Everything is fine. Everything is going to be alright. With that I sit on the plane, heading to Houston, Texas.

                            ••••••••

        When the plane lands, I get my stuff and wait for my rental car. In the next few days, Fred is going to have someone drop off my Mercedes that I left in New York. I see someone driving a brand new red BMW convertible and I know that's my rental car. Perfect.