Blood Born - Chapter 50

"The Guild must die," I spoke into the darkness of my mother's bed chamber. "Mother? Wake up!"

"Hm? Evelyn? Is that you? What are you doing, child?"

"The Guild. They must die," I repeated.

"Yes, I know this. Go to bed."

I sighed heavily. "There is no time for sleep! The children."

"Are sleeping. They're fine."

"Have you seen them recently?"

"Yes, Evelyn. They're sleeping."

"Elizabeth is sleeping in ice and Connell is sleeping in fire."

"What?" My mother sat up and stared at me in confusion.

"You heard me right. Their powers are growing."

"They'll be able to track them soon."

I nodded. "I need to move them somewhere safe. For now."

"Where can be safer than a castle?"

"This place isn't the safest place, mother. I've already had one friend die here. I won't allow my children to fall to the same fate."

"Your children are also...special, Evelyn."

"That may be so, but I'd feel better if they were with others who are more like them," I muttered, sitting next to her.

"Who is more like them than us?"

I side-eyed her. "The dragons."

"The what? You want my grandchildren to be guarded far away from here by dragons!"

"Calm down, mother. They are part dragon. That would be the safest place for them. Just until the Guild is dead. All of them."

"Even the girls?"

"The older ones, yes. They're too brainwashed to see the light."

"I was older when I rebelled," my mother said softly.

"You're also not quite like the other girl's mother. Rather than following orders blindly, you followed your heart and are now a target of their assassination attempts."

"I think that has fallen squarely on your scaly shoulders, love."

She was right. The Guild seemed to have grown bored with trying to assassinate their assassin and have been coming after me. It was their way of killing my mother. By killing the one thing they tried so hard to prevent, love. I'm the product of her forbidden love with Father. I couldn't let those vile bastards close to Elizabeth and Connell though.

Is this what Mother felt when she spent all her years protecting me? This love is overwhelming.

A tear slid down my cheek as I rose from her bed and walked toward the door, my talons clicking on the stone floor.

Have her feelings changed for me though? Now that I'm this thing.

"Mother?" I called quietly.

"Yes, Evelyn?"

"Do you still love me?" I questioned.

"What?"

"Do you still love me even though I'm a monster now?"

Mother jumped to her feet and stood before me in a flash. "Don't you think for one moment that my love for you will ever die. You are my daughter. While I didn't see your life turning out quite like this, I'm fiercely proud of you and what you have become. You are a mighty warrior and a queen of a nation. You will rule over both kingdoms one day with beauty, grace, dignity, and fairness."

"I'm not beautiful anymore."

"Yes, you are, Evelyn. You are still the fairest of all the maidens in this land. You have the beauty of humans and the grace and mystery of the dragons. You are not a monster like you think. You are a legendary beauty who will be spoken of for centuries to come. You will be a queen all other queens wish they could be. Including me."

I wrapped my arms around her, my wings sulking behind. I loved my mother.

She released her grip on me and I slipped out of her room. I had to find James. He must help me prepare the children. I opened his door and peered in but was met with emptiness.

"Where is James?" I asked the guard outside his room.

"I do not know, madame. He has not returned this evening."

I furrowed my brow and nodded at the young man before turning toward my own chambers.

Where could he be?

The guard in front of my door opened it as I walked past him. I mumbled thanks and sighed with relief. James slept in a chair near the window. His head resting on the cold stone window sill. A smile crept across my lips as I watched him. I crossed the room and tapped his shoulder lightly.

"Hmm? What?" he sat up and stared at me. "You're back!"

James leaped to his feet and wrapped his arms around me.

"I've missed you and was so worried! Why were you gone so long?"

"It wasn't that long, my love."

He held me at arms length before pulling me in close. The warmth of his body felt good against my cold scales. He pressed his lips to mine and I just melted into him. Even with the changes I had gone through, he still turned me into a weak girl. Everything felt right with the world when he held me. I had no worries and fear. There was nothing to concern us and the Guild was not a problem.

"Let's go to bed," he said.

I nodded as he led me to the luxurious softness.

"Before we sleep, there is something we must discuss," I told him, allowing the gown to slip from my body.

"What?"

"The children."

"What about them?"

"We must take them somewhere safe," I mumbled, crawling onto the bed.

He furrowed his brow and pursed his lips. He seemed to be so far from the room at that particular moment. I could see the sadness creep into his face.

"I agree. I know that the Guild will come for them someday soon. I do not want them in harms way. They are the future of this kingdom and yours. We must keep them safe."

I snuggled into his arms and closed my eyes. I could feel his fingers running through the feathers of my wings. It still amazed me how sensitive they were. I didn't think there would be as much sensation in them, but I could feel each trail of his finger down each feather. I shivered and snuggled closer, draping my arm across his chest as I drifted into a dreamless sleep. No dreams were better than the nightmares that had been plaguing me lately.

Soon. The war would be coming to us soon.