Blood Born - Chapter 37

I lay on my bed, finally, alone and processed everything that happened. I let my mind dwell on the fact I saw my best friend with her head crushed in. I tried to image what she felt seeing the man she loved so angered by who knows what that he beat her enough to smash in her skull. The tears flowed, soaking into the silken pillow coverings. The silent tears gave way to violent sobs. Life had changed so much in such a short amount of time. In three days I would marry the prince of Scotland. The Guild was planning some attack at some time, but nobody knew when. And I'm not human. I'm part dragon. Or a dragon heart.

"Evelyn?" a quiet voice called from the adjoining door.

"Yeah?" I swiped at my eyes and sniffed.

"Are you alright? I brought you some food."

"I'm not very hungry, but thank you."

"You should try to eat something."

I sat up and grabbed a slice of bread and some dried meats from the platter. I nibbled at it, but my stomach did flips and tosses with each bite. Shaking my head, I replaced it and lay back down.

"I miss her too," Charlene said, rubbing my back.

"How did we not notice she was missing? Why didn't we bother to make sure she was okay?"

"Nobody had a reason to believe she was in trouble."

"We should have kept a closer eye on this John Stewart."

"Speaking of him, what are we to do with The Guild?"

"I suppose we're waiting. There's a wedding to be had according to everyone."

Charlene continued to rub my back as she sat there. "A bit of normalcy will be welcomed amongst the people of the kingdoms. Seeing their prince and England's princess married will help ease their fears that something is amiss."

"But everything is amiss, Charlene! Everything. There is an evil faction of immortals running about killing people. There are witches in the woods. Dragons on the coasts. And that princess they love so much..." I stopped myself before I revealed the big secret.

"What about the princess?" she queried.

"She's scared."

"That is completely understandable. I promise it will be better."

I nodded and closed my eyes. Restless sleep took over as I drifted off. My sense of time was thrown off. As I woke, everything was dark. Sitting up, I smiled and pulled the blankets up around Charlene who had fallen asleep next to me. My heart swelled and felt heavy. I wanted to be happy. My wedding day should have been a happy time.

I lay back down next to my last friend and pushed her hair out of her eyes. Tossing and turning, I eventually drifted back to sleep. Dreaming of the days old when Elizabeth and I ran through the courtyards of castles and manors, or the gossiping about the other girls in court, riding our steads through meadows, playing in the creeks and brooks around the countryside. We'd had a good life. She had a good life. I could only hope that I was a good enough friend.

"Madame. Madame, please wake." Someone shaking my shoulder pulled me from the dream of splashing about in a lake.

"What?" I mumbled.

"The seamstress. She needs to make final alterations to the gown."

I looked up into the unfamiliar face of a servant girl I'd never seen before.

"Who are you?"

"I'm new to the castle, ma'am."

"Oh." I climbed out of bed and was immediately assaulted by ladies with fabric.